painting over primed sides of storm windows
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jane Stevenson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: painting over primed sides of storm windows Reply with quote

I am wondering about some new storm windows that I had made. They were primed with an oil base primer. Does this mean that I need to paint the sides, the bottoms and tops? I am wanting them to be unpainted so can the primer be left and still have the effect of unpainted sides for moisture control? If they now need to have paint over the primer then is one coat sufficient?

There is also oil on the glass from the glazing that was done. Will this affect the paint adhesion in sealing the glaze with latex paint? Does it need to be cleaned off before the gazing is painted? I know that I read not to clean the windows for quite a while so the glazing isn't disturbed.

Thanks
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exterior wood storms are usually primed and painted with two top coats on both faces and all edges including side edges, top edge and bottom edge. This is necessary because water from the weather and condensation can get on all the wood surfaces.

If your storms are to be mounted on the face of the exterior casing boards, then you can go ahead and paint, because there is nothing that contains the edges.
If your storms are to be mounted in a storm bed, then the edges of the storm are contain by the side of the bed. The paint you apply to the edges of the storm may build up to enough thickness that the side-to-side fit of the storm may be too tight. Before you paint you need to be sure that your storms are sized to fit into the storm bed with enough space to allow for the thickness of the paint you will be applying. Keep in mind that the wood of the storm may swell and get a bit larger after it has been painted and installed.
If you are not sure about all of this subtle sizing business, talk with the person who measured for your storms and the person who made the storms to see if they accounted for these subtleties of sizing.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: