Cleaning Brushes
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Cleaning Brushes Reply with quote

I use Diamond G ( http://www.diamondgforestproducts.com/ ) turps to clean my brushes and just keep reusing it until it's all evaporated into thin air. This doesn't damage the environment because it doesn't put out anything that is not put into the environment by a naturally growing pine tree. The gumbo that's left I leave in a can exposed to the air, until it turns to a solid, then I dispose of it with the rest of the trash. It amounts to less than a pound or so per year.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
TideWater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a bunch of questions about this topic. I assume you use the liquid gum spirts that Diamond sells. How does it handle oil paints? Do you do anything with the brushes before you put them in the turp? How long do you leave them in?

I use paint brush cleaner from the store. One problem I've found when cleaning brushes is that no matter how much of the paint I mechanically remove from the brush before putting it in the cleaner, the first cup of cleaner gets too contaminated to due much good. So I've been using 3 cups, moving the brush through until the last of the paint has been removed. It takes a while and still isn't satisfactory. Could you describe your process in more detail?

Thanks.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: