roof/ attic ventilation
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Roofing & Flashing  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griffinhall

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: roof/ attic ventilation Reply with quote

We just replaced our old tin roof with (due to budget restrictions) a grand manor shingle roof with two monster roof top fans.

I am under the understanding that for our 2880 square foot, partially sheetrocked, unairconditioned, insulated attic we need to suppy roughly 20 square feet of intake ventilation under the soffits. There is no ridge vent, there are 12 small double hung windows.

This translates into installing 6inch diameter soffit vents every 2.4 feet around the 240 foot perimeter of the main roof.

Does anyone have any views on this?

The house was built in 1913 with a stucco exterior and plaster walls that stay remarkably cool during our hot humid summers.

The roof manufacturer recommends this venting to keep the warrenty valid ( which is probably meaningless anyway), and some have said it will keep our home cooler.

I wonder about actually letting in MORE hot humid air in, thereby having the opposite effect, also the question of insects entering through them.

We have not had any mold issues ( that we can see) since we began running very large dehumidifiers all summer.

I do not mind the look of the vents and they are not expensive, I am just worried that they may actually make matters worse.

If I should install them, would I also install them in the soffits around the attached porches, even though there arn't any fans or vents on them?

Thank you

oldhomeowner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question. I am curious as to what formula is used to assess proper air flow in an attic. Mine is uninsulated, unfinished, all original venting configuration with small dormer windows at either end. Built 1927, everything still looks great. I was advised to increase my ventilation considerably along the same lines as you (soffit vents every so many inches, roof vents, etc. but after 79 years and still doing well, I don't see the point. Doesn't seem to be broken, why should I fix it? The roof shingles are about eight years old.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Roofing & Flashing  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: