Welcome to Winter !
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Interior Storm Windows  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Welcome to Winter ! Reply with quote

Well, the seasons finally turned toward winter and it's time to put up the storms--interior storms, that is.

I call them "Air Panels." They are also know as "interior storms" and "energy panels" in the window industry.

A few years ago at my house I tried out a couple of the shrink wrap kits, but didn't like throwing them in the trash at the end of the heating season. Plus the tape damaged the finish on the window casings. I resolved to make a simple air panel system that any handy DIY person could make, it would last for years, not damage the window in any way (good for the museum houses), would cost less than $10., take less than an hour to make, and take less than a minute to remove or install.

My wife says "they make my studio in the front parlor much more comfortable in the winter, and cut down on the exterior street noise too." My friends say, "neat, can you make 38 of them for my house?" I say, "No. Make your own, here's how..."

So when Stephanie, the Herald writer, called wanting information about windows, I knew this was my chance to help you seal out those chilly winter drafts.

Feel free to post your questions and comments here by clicking "New Topic" below.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought

Last edited by johnleeke on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lori Bates

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John.

Can you report on how many of your friends have set about making their own interior storms?

It only took me a minute to pop in the one I made last year. The only drawback I've come across is a failure of the double sided tape on one side during storage, but that was easy enough to resolve. They make a very noticeable difference over a drafty window and do increase the comfort level of a room significantly. I'm very pleased to have found an affordable and efficient way to stop the winter drafts.

Now to make about 24 more.... ;-)

Lori
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you report on how many of your friends have set about making their own interior storms?

About half-a-dozen freinds, neighbors and acquaintenes (like yourself) have made similar interior storms after seeing mine. I am hearing back from some of the scores or possibly hundreds more who have read about how to do it in my publications.

Quote:
The only drawback I've come across is a failure of the double sided tape

Aside from the rare rip or tear, tape failure is the usual deterioration I have too. I'm getting 1 to 2 years of life from the tape if the panel is left in place year round on the sunny side of the house, and 2 to 4 years of life on the shady side if they are removed from the window and stored in a cool place over the summer. Storage in a hot attic cooks the life out of the tape over just one or two summers.

I'm currently working on a groove & spline method of fastening the shrink-wrap plastic to the wood frame. This "ups the ante" on the equipment, skills and materials needed, but more than doubles the life of the plastic to 4 to 6 years (or whenever it gets torn or poked). A groove is cut into the face or edge of the frame with a router. The plastic film is held in the groove with a spline, or strip of 1/8" wood dowel, or the same soft plastic strip as used in fiberglas screen windows.

Quote:
Now to make about 24 more.... ;-)

Here at my place I make them in batches of 3 to 5 windows, making another batch about every other year. Each batch has a one or two improvements over the past batches, based on how they have held up.

The cold November winds are blowing this morning here in Maine, but these storms help keep it cozy here in my second storey home office.

Take care, work safe and keep warm.

Joshuaviktor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: How to fasten to window frame Reply with quote

John, do these simply pop into the window? We just moved into the only Pre-Rev war tavern still standing in New Jersey.
(ca 1736), and the amount of settling can only be described as amazing. I don't think there is a single square window in the house.

Is there a way to attach them/fit them to the window, or do they need to be customized for each individual frame?

Thanks!!

Joshua
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your windows are really out of square and different from one another, then you'll have to make a frame to fit each one.

I've posted all my notes and photos on how to do it at:

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193

Good luck with your windows!

joshuaviktor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

John,

Thank you.

The detail in this article will save me time and money. We may not be able to get these done for this year, but my father-in-law and myself will have them done for next year.

I know I can't afford your services, but I surely appreciate the know-how.

John, I can't thank you enough.

Joshua
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua:

Quote:
The detail in this article will save me time and money.

That's the idea.
Quote:

I know I can't afford your services, but I surely appreciate the know-how. John, I can't thank you enough.

Yer welcome.

Report back on how you make out.

By the way, where are you located in New Jersey? I may be teaching a workshop in Collingswood this coming year.

joshuaviktor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Location Reply with quote

We're in Chester, NJ, about 30 minutes west of Morristown. Morris County, where Route 206 and old 24 cross. If you've been to this town, you know LArison's Turkey Farm, in the middle of Chester. If you've been to this area, you might know Waterloo Village, a historic village in Stanhope, NJ. I was the blacksmith there for a while. Broom maker too.

Joshua

27 Pleasant Hill Road
Chester

Drop by.
gracie_1111

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Interior Storm Windows - looking for a product source Reply with quote

Hi. I'm new to your website. I'm looking for a source to purchase magnetic edging which would be used to edga a piece of acrylic to build an interior storm window

I recently purchased a Magnetite Interior Storm Window Kit from the internet. Basically it allows you to construct a storm window of acrylic with a magnetic edge that adheres to a metal strip that you install around your window frame. The end result is there is a 'refrigerator door' effect that seals the air out. I liked the results but found there was a lot of waste as the normal kits do not accomodate my 8ft windows. I can get everything in the kit locally to create these interior storm windows - except - the magnetic edging which would go around a piece of plexiglass that is fit to my window size. I have gone to the Magnetite source, who initially quoted me bulk rates for their edging product, but I have not been able to have anyone return my call since then to actually place an order. This has been going on for 6 weeks.

So my question is - does anyone know of another source where I could buy the magnetic edging. Thanks in advance for your help. Gracie
tually place an order.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Interior Storm Windows  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: