Window Publications
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows Workshop  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikehorgan

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Window Publications Reply with quote

Hi everyone! John, thanks again for the workshop. I'm excited and enthused to begin putting to practice what we learned.

I just read Amanda's posting with the link to the pamphlet from the Sacramento group and thought it was fantastic. The pamphlet must be a great selling tool for their potential customers.

John, you had said you could link me to a site that had actual data backing the preservation of windows as opposed to the installation of new windows - something showing numbers and how long it takes to actually recoup one's cost of new installation windows. If you could pass that along, that would be fantastic - or if any of you know of such information or sources of information, that would be fantastic as well. With the proliferation of construction down here on the Cape, I've got to put together a solid, informative package that can convince people preservation is the way to go. I've got two homes that I'll be able to work on to "showcase" (so to speak) the work, but convincing other customers is going to be tough. Marvin and Andersen both have massive showrooms down here, and Pella is all over the place. I'm going to do some searching myself, but figured it wouldn't hurt to start right here first.

Alrighty.... thanks guys! Look forward to hearing from, and speaking with, everyone in the future.

Mike Horgan
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the brief "Preserving Old Windows" article from REMODELING magazine and now on the eBuild website:

http://www.ebuild.com/guide/resources/product-news.asp?ID=211787

Download Keith Haberern's (Professional Engineer), "Windows Energy Analysis" here:

http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/education/WindowsHandouts/WindowEnergyAnalysis.pdf

and here is the "What Replacement Windows Can't Replace:
The Real Cost of Removing Historic Windows" article from the APTI Bulletin:

http://www.apti.org/publications/Past-Bulletin-Articles/Sedovic-36-4.pdf

Download the "Testing the Energy Performance of Wood Windows
in Cold Climates" 115 page NCPTT study here:

http://www.ncptt.nps.gov/pdf/1996-08.pdf

Here is my summary of the NCPTT window energy performance study:

A 1996 study by Vermont's Division for Historic Preservation and the National Center for Preservation Technology and Training looked at 151 windows to determine if historic windows could be upgraded to approach the thermal efficiency of replacement sash or window inserts.

Window upgrades using an existing frame and sash can achieve performance indistinguishable from a replacement sash, but economics of the upgrade depend on how leaky the original window is. The study concluded that replacing a historic window does not necessarily result in greater energy savings than upgrading that same window.

Among the upgrades found to be effective were retaining the original sash by using bronze V-strip weather stripping, vinyl jamb liners and silicone bulb weather stripping, as well as adding aluminum triple-track storm windows.

-- excerpt from In Defense of the Old, Smart Homeowner Magazine, Mar.2002, by John Leeke

Post a message here to let us know which of these is most useful and why.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought

Last edited by johnleeke on Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:35 am; edited 6 times in total
mikehorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John and everyone else,
I'm pretty cranking right now with a few things so I haven't been on this as much as I want to be, but that doesn't mean it's not in my thoughts...pretty much consistently. I've just got to get through the next two months of work. I'm just getting in the door now at 10 pm.
I haven't had a chance to read any of the articles yet, but I will this week. I've already had a meeting with a graphic designer I know down here to help me make a brochure to try and make the window preservation a part of what I do. You guys would have a field day driving around the Cape and looking at the old houses down here and what could be done. I'm just getting in now because (and this is not any exaggeration) I just helped a friend of mine carry a massive Anderson into a barn at his parents' home...whic is going to replace the window over the front door of their house built in 1830. It's tought to convince people though...
I'll get back to you on the articles and what I choose helps me out. thanks for the prompt response, John.

Appreciated,
Mike
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows Workshop  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: