Sarco Putty, putty questions, and window rehab
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodturner

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Sarco Putty, putty questions, and window rehab Reply with quote

Hi, All,

I'm a homeowner working on my own house, and I'm new to these forums.

The house is a 1930's colonial in Western Pennsylvania, with 16 original double hung windows. They are generally in good shape, but have been overpainted and the paint is peeling. A couple have cracked glass, and most need new putty.

From reading the forum, it sounds like the Sarco putty may be the best currently available choice. I saw the message in the putty analysis thread, but haven't found any further reports on it. Has anyone tried it yet, and how did it work?

To do 16 windows approximately 3' x 5', assuming I am replacing all the putty on both sashes, how much putty will I likely need? I gather that the putty really doesn't store well for more than a month or so, so I don't want a lot left over.

I'm planning to use the steam stripping method to remove the paint. How long does the wood need to dry out before it can be painted?

Any and all suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.
jade

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi......
I know my way around a 200 year old window but can't figure out how to copy and paste correspondence here.....I bought a 5 gallon bucket of Sarco and have favorable feedback on the product...perhaps John can forward to you or instruct me on how to post that feedback here....

I will estimate that you will use about 2 gallons of putty. You can purchase from Sarco in 1,2,3,4, and 5 gallon containers. If you wrap a piece of 6 mil plastic around a piece of cardboard the same size as the container opening, you will eliminate air circulation. The product should offer a shelf life of about one year if properly sealed.

...Jade
woodturner

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: are you using a windows machine? Reply with quote

Hi......
I know my way around a 200 year old window but can't figure out how to copy and paste correspondence here
...Jade

Assuming you are on a windows machine, you should be able to highlight text, copy (press control-c), click the cursor where you want the text to go, and paste (control-v).

This is some text I copied and pasted using this method, so that works if you can read this.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the second page of the Putty Analysis discussion here on the forum:

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
woodturner

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: oops - forgot the storm windows Reply with quote

jade wrote:
Hi......
I will estimate that you will use about 2 gallons of putty.
...Jade

I wasn't thinking about the wood storm windows or the sun porch when I posted the information. Sorry for the confusion. I really have:

16 double hung windows approximately 3' x 5' (six lights on upper sash, one on lower sash)
16 wood storm windows to fit the double hung windows
8 wood casement type windows approximately 3' x 6' with 3 lights each
4 "Picture windows" (fixed glass windows) approximately 5' x 5'

Guessing from the earlier estimate, I'm assuming I would need around 5 gallons - does that sound about right?

Thanks.
jade

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with that list you may well use 5 gallons. If you have the pleasure of time on your side, may I make a suggestion? Purchase a gallon of Sarco and a gallons of UGL Glazol. The Glazol takes 10 days or more to skin over sufficiently for painting. Of all the putty I've experimented with, it has the best handling/tooling qualities of all. It seems that most paint or hardware stores only carry Glazol in quart containers. I imagine you can request gallon containers.

...Jade
woodturner

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the suggestion Reply with quote

jade wrote:
Yes, with that list you may well use 5 gallons. If you have the pleasure of time on your side, may I make a suggestion? Purchase a gallon of Sarco and a gallons of UGL Glazol. The Glazol takes 10 days or more to skin over sufficiently for painting. Of all the putty I've experimented with, it has the best handling/tooling qualities of all. It seems that most paint or hardware stores only carry Glazol in quart containers. I imagine you can request gallon containers.

...Jade

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm working primarily on weekends, so giving it two weeks to skin isn't really a problem. Can it be exposed to the weather during this time? Reinstalling the sashes during the curing period would be more convenient.

Turns out the Glazol is available at the "old time" hardware store near my home. I like to support them, and they are good people. I'll pick up a can this weekend and give it a try.

Thanks again for all your help.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can it be exposed to the weather during this time? Reinstalling the sashes during the curing period would be more convenient.

Duffy says no exposure to the weather, keep them in the shop for glazing and all coats of primer and paint.

woodturner

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Hmm Reply with quote

johnleeke wrote:
Quote:
Can it be exposed to the weather during this time? Reinstalling the sashes during the curing period would be more convenient.

Duffy says no exposure to the weather, keep them in the shop for glazing and all coats of primer and paint.

Thanks for the reply.

If I did the storm windows first, in the shop, and then reinstalled the storm windows, did the sash glazing, and reinstalled the sashes, would that be OK? Would the solar heat buildup impact the curing of the putty?

I'm just concerned about security and leaving the sashes out for a couple of weeks.

Thanks.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeping the sash in the shop prevents the sun's heating infra-red rays, and molecular-damaging ultra-violet rays from damaging the putty as it cures. The putty is designed to cure best in the shop.

Doing the storms then the primary sashes, or visa versa, would be OK, just do all glazing and painting complete in the shop.

To address the security issue when all sashes and storms are removed at once we install temporary closures, usually plywood cut to the size of the sashes and fastened in place with screws.

jade

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A consitently warm dry enviroment with good air flow (fan) is the best scenairo for the curing of oil based putty. I don't (won't) use latex putty. I would say that it is safe to reinstall a sash that has primed putty for a limited time, but agree that it is not a good practice to install unprimed/unpainted puttied sash. Another alternative is reinstalling sash that have the glass pinned in place without the putty if security is a concern--but of course that is a temporary solution since you must putty and paint at some point!

Woodturner...the Sarco people suggested that you may skip the priming process and apply oil or latex finish directly over the dried putty. The same may not be true for Glazol or other putties....I like your intentions of doing business with a small local store.......
woodturner

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Glazol quantities Reply with quote

FWIW, I did learn that Glazol is available in 1 gallon and 5 gallon containers. I'll ask the local hardware store if they can order it.
woodturner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: it's not Reply with quote

The local hardware store is a true value affiliate, and can only get what is stocked in the warehouse - and that's only quart containers. At the rate I'm going, that might be a good thing, though - might last me for years ;-)
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: