Learning how to build a historic window
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fernando

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Learning how to build a historic window Reply with quote

I own a historic property in the Philadelphia area. It is a red brick, 3-story home that was built between 1840-1850. The previous owners replaced the original wooden windows for ugly 1/1, aluminum-clad, double hung replacement windows.

To bring the buidling back to its original condition I need to rebuild the windows. However, every time I ask for help, the information I get is not clear and sometimes it is contradictory.

Do you know a book or books to learn how these windows were constructed? As you can see my problem is not preserving the old windows but to return them back to its original after the damage the previous owner inflicted on the house.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Save Your Wood Windows, includes the basic construction details for wood double-hung sash in wood frames. It also includes sash and window makers who use traditional details of construction.

You can obtain Save Your Wood Windows at:

http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/reports/reports.htm#Windows

There are old trades manuals that show window construction details. One is titled Audels Carpenters and Builders Guide from the 1920s. There are others from the 19th and 18th centuries too. Visit your library, used book stores, and search on eBay too, with the search terms, " carpentry", "windows" etc.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you can find it at a library, I wrote an article for Fine Homebuilding in their Dec. 1984 issue, "Making Window Sash"--fabricating window sash with ordinary woodworking shop equipment.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Dew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the book, "Save Your Wood Windows" include info about the jambs? We have to recreate single hung windows for our whole first floor level. The previous owner put in casement windows in the 70's and those just don't go well with a 1915 Victorian house. We live in southern Minnesota and can't find anyone who knows anything about the old carpentry. Also, been searching the web and can only find bits and pieces, but nothing detailed. We know how to make the sashes, but need more info about the jambs.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Save Your Wood Windows reports does include a few drawings that show the jambs, which are part of the window frame set into the wall of the house. But, it does not detail the construction or repair of jambs.

I have books in my library that show the consctuction details of window frames and jambs. I have used these drawings to make jambs and frames for windows.

I could send you drawings from the books, and give you further advice on how to adapt the drawings to meet your needs. I could do this for you through my Question & Answer service:

http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/qa/qaservice.htm

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: