Hardware questions...more to come, too.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikehorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Hardware questions...more to come, too. Reply with quote

Hi all,

John, I posted a note originally in the Portland workshop section about how I've gotten my first window from a 1920's Cape house a few hundred yards from the beach. I'm not sure where it went, but it didn't get posted. No big deal...just thought I'd let you know.
Anyhow, I have my first window. The guy I work with just took over a home right near the beach and were renovating the entire thing as we speak. In exchange for placing a door where the window used to be located, I was able to keep the window in return so I can work on it. It's in pretty rough shape...perfect! Glass is falling out of the sash, sill is pretty banged up (but not rotted through anywhere), weights, pulleys, ropes all need to be replaced (weights were found inside the jambs at the bottom resting on the sill and stool). 2 over 2.

My first question concerns the hardware: I took a Phelps Company brochure from your house John, but the sash pulleys they advertise are all measuring 4 5/8" in height. The pulleys on my window measure only 4 1/8" in height. If you're interested, I'm looking at model # SP175RE, the pulley system with the rounded ends. Are there other places where I might find hardware of different dimensions? The locks that Phelps has are the same dimensions - I have a Fitch on this particular window, and theirs matches.

Also, I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to deglaze this particular window just yet. As I'm going to make this a division of my construction business, eventually I will invest in the large Steam Stripper - I hope - but for this first run, I'll more than likely use a heat gun. You and Dave Clark both used a particular stripping/scraping tool, but I don't know the name of it. Can you pass it along? I prefer that to the ones I have right now and would like to find one for myself. It seemed fairly ergonomic compared to what I have.

On that note of glazing, has there been a conclusion as to what putty seems to be the one to go with? We used two at the workshop - Alback's and, I believe, Dap?? Maybe it was Perma-Glaze. I know Perma-Glaze is out of production now though, and I also know the Alback's is expensive. I'd like to stay in a budget here, as this window is, in all likelihood, not going back into the house. It's largely going to be a practice run or used for before and after pictures in a flyer/brochure.

Epoxy: there are some repairs on this window that I would like to fix with the epoxy. John, I know you used the Abatron system. Do you remember what the name of Dave's system was. I'd like to compare the two, pluses and minuses.

Sorry I'm leaving a long note here... I'm excited about finally having a window to work on and getting this show on the road, and I like to do things right once - the first time. I found an old-timer down here who has a barn full of wavy glass, too, so I'm going to replace the flat glass in the sash now with the wavy and hopefully be able to use more of his glass in the future. The old-timers around here all collect something in their barns...glad I found this guy!

Thanks for any help and information passed along, from everyone and anyone. Much appreciated.

Mike Horgan
mikehorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also... I'm having trouble finding sash weights. Phelps only carries weights for 1 3/4" sash width. Mine are 1 1/2" in width.

Thanks again!

Mike
WindowWoman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: info of sort Reply with quote

I know Cape Cod isn't exactly close, but if you want to bring sash here to Topsfield, MA you can steam them in our steam stripper. I am also a big fan of the Silent Paint Remover.
For sash pulleys try
Architectural Resource Center 800-370-8808
Vandykes
www.sashpulley.com
house of antique hardware

just Google sash pulley. Sash weights you can also get at ARC, otherwise it's begging contractors to save them for you.

Alison Hardy
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sash weights are not selected by the width of sash. They are specified by weight. With a typical 2 cord system you weigh the sash (glazed) in pounds, and divide by two, and that is the weight of each weight in pounds. You do have to pay a little attention to the diameter of the weights to assure they will fit in the weight pockets.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave demonstgrated the Smith & Co. epoxy materials.

http://www.smithandcompany.org/

You should have gotten a handout at the workshop. If not let me know.

Last edited by johnleeke on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

For the scraper, go to Dave Bower's website, he sells them. I think that is the one you mean.

http://www.oldewindowrestorer.com/steamstripper.html

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Free Pulleys Reply with quote

Mike:

Joe has some free pulleys:

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: