weather stripping AND storms?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: weather stripping AND storms? Reply with quote

Growing up in a cold climate (Iowa) we always used both weather stripping and storms. I am now restoring double hung windows on a house in Virginia. The man who's doing my windows seems to know what he's doing. He insists that because we're using very good, modern storms that there's really no need for the weather stripping. I'm thinking he may be correct because the temperatures are much milder, but I was wondering about condensation between the windows -- not that weather stripping has prevented that in my bathroom.

Anyway, if it doesn't add much, then I'm not certain it's worth the expense.

Any thoughts?
jade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi sandy....
come january, give us a post and tell us how warm it is in virginia!

when you say using weather stripping, i assume you mean on the main double hung sash. my response is, it can't hurt. spring bronze weatherstripping (and other types as well) adds a cushion and takes up any slack that may exist between the sash stile (vertical frame) and the jamb, so that is a benefit if your sash seem loose in the opening.

as far as condensation is concerned, i always suggest having 'weep holes' at the bottom of the the storm window. the purpose is twofold--to allow precipitation to roll off the sill and through the holes when the screen is in place and to allow for ventilation so as to reduce or eliminate condensation when the glass storms are in place.

hope that helps.....
....jade
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: