installed clock spring balances
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emrude

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: installed clock spring balances Reply with quote

I install a pair of clock spring balances Wednesday. The window was small (32" wide 40" tall) over kitchen sink. The biggest part of the job was mortising into studs that were 1/2" behind the jambs. I got to putting the sash back in, and the left balance wasn't retracting. I called the company and Dave walked me through why it would do this. I looked to be sure there was enough room in mortise. And ended up just hitting the balance on the side until it was working. Of course, I ended up cutting my finger on the very sharp tape.
The window is put together and working for the first time since the remodel--in late 1940's or early 50's. I don't like the action of the clock springs as well as 'real pulleys and weights'. Yesterday I finished the last window at this house. Except for the kitchen window they have all been broken ropes.
I am starting a project where I'm fixing broken sills, stripping, glazing, re-hanging and weatherstripping. It should be fun.
Marion
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: