weatherstripped window - fill the kerf?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ms. Chips

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: weatherstripped window - fill the kerf? Reply with quote

- When I removed the sashes of one double-hung in our bedroom, I discovered that someone had installed zinc weatherstripping in the top jambs and on the top sash itself. It's the kind where one cuts a kerf all around and the sash now rides in a kind of track. Should I remove it and re-install the same type in bronze? My intention is to install spring bronze weatherstripping (the flat type that comes in a coil) in the jambs, but these kerfs are deep and I'm concerned about draftiness and that there's been so much wood removed (half of the top meeting rail has been cut away and channeled out) the sash's "integrity" has been compromised.

Another idea I thought of was to just pack epoxy into the kerf and forget it ever happened. Bad idea or no? I have some Abatron that I haven't dared use yet.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have metal-ridge weatherstripping. Usually meeting rails are not kerfed for this type. You must have an unusual situation.

If the meeting rail has been seriously weakened, then a wood-epoxy repair would be appropriate. How much of the meeting rails has been kerfed out? What is the overall size of the meeting rail? What is the size of the kerf? If it's an ordinary saw kerf about 1/16" to 1/8" about 3/8" deep then simply filling with epoxy materials may be good. If more than, say, 10-20% of the crossectional area of the rail is gone, all along the rail, you may need to add a structural reinforcement within the epoxy repair, such as a fiberglass rod.

See the Practical Restoration Reports:

Wood Epoxy Repairs:
http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/reports/reports.htm#Wood-Epoxy%20Repairs

Save Your Wood Windows:
http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/reports/reports.htm#Windows

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: