Alliance Demonstration Plan
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> TB Conference Planning, Windows, Mar. 2007 Goto page 1, 2  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Alliance Demonstration Plan Reply with quote

The conference organizers have approved window demonstrations to be put on by the Window Preservation Alliance.

The purpose of the demonstrations is three-fold:

1st, Educate the Public

2nd. Promote our Businesses

3rd. Have some fun and educate ourselves at the rest of the conference.

The conference is thinking of this as "hosting" the Alliance. Due to obvious business politeness to paying exhibitors they cannot simply give us an exhibit booth space. But, they will provide:

- A space on the exhibit floor during all three days of the conference. (no charge, what is the fee for an exhibit booth? When I did an exhibit in 1995 it was something like $2,200)

- Full conference passes to each Alliance member who participates in the demonstrations. (worth $500)

- Announcements of the Alliance and demonstrations during the conference. (even paying exhibitors don't get this)

- The alliance will be able to openly display or hand out:

- technical window literature (copyrights must be respected)
- any alliance literature (can include members' promotional info)
- members can hand business cards to the public
- a large graphical display that could include members' business logos and names

- We have to be careful not to appear to be "competing" with paying exhibitors, so the distribution of each of our own marketing literature must be handled carefully. I'm still working with the conference organizers on this issue. We may be able to have a modest display rack with member's brochures; or we may not be able to openly and actively distribute brochures (in fact, we may play this one "by ear" during the conference so each of us should have at least a small supply of marketing literature on hand)

-We will definitely be able to hand out a sheet that describes the Alliance and each of its members, with contact info, descriptions of work, etc. For this handout I propose that we use this description:

Quote:
Window Restoration Alliance

The Window Restoration Alliance members share a commitment to the preservation and restoration of historic wooden windows. Our region's rich history includes the houses, structures, and communities that date back to the earliest settlements. Historic preservation strives to keep this structural history alive and functioning. Windows hold a unique place. Windows reflect the architecture of a period, they provide the practical benefits of healthful ventilation as well as offer portals to the outside neighborhood and community.

Alliance members are experts in window restoration and preservation. We blend traditional and modern materials and techniques to maintain the windows' original practical function and architectural design. We share technical information about window work and sometimes work together on larger projects. We educate and encourage homeowners and communities to take care of their older and historic windows, not replace them. Currently, alliance members are located in New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts.

and then list each member with the info provided here:

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=834

This handout could be even more powerful marketing than individual brochures.

Here is a brief description of the first demonstration topic:

"Beyond Repair?"

Is this window beyond repair? The false claim that good old window sash are beyond repair is one of
the most convincing and misleading sales pitches of the plastic
replacement window industry. Visitors will learn the truth about
"repairability" by handling actual "before & after" window sash samples
in four conditions: beyond repair, repairable, maintainable and
serviceable. Visitors will see experienced window workers demonstrate the most common maintenance and repair methods and talk with workers about the procedures, materials and relative costs of this work. This
demonstration experience and a compelling one-page handout will give
architects, tradespeople and building owners the "ammo" they need to
protect their windows from this high-pressure sales tactic of the
plastic replacement window industry.

Additional topic ideas must be presented and approved by the conference organizers.

Logistics

Equipment: Some larger equipment from the Window Workshop on Wednesday will be moved to the demo area the end of the day on Wednesday. This will include John's traditional woodworking bench and one or two sash easels.

Security: There is security on the exhibit floor overnight so it is usually safe to leave larger equipment. I would expect that window displays and sashes would be safe as well. But, all small tools or other valuables should be moved to lodging or vehicles at the end of each day.

There is quite a bit of planning to be done for us to put on effective demonstrations. As we come up with good ideas and definite plans I will include them in this message.

Please click on "Post Reply" below with your ideas, comments, revisions and questions.

Last edited by johnleeke on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:38 pm; edited 9 times in total
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Beyond Repair content Reply with quote

Beyond Repair Demonstration, content development

Project leader: Allison
Project assistant: Pat
(keep in mind they may need help from the rest of us, especially when it come to haulage, working at the demonstration, etc.)

Title and description:

"Windows Beyond Repair?"

Is this window beyond repair?The false claim that good old window sash are beyond repair is one of the most convincing and misleading sales pitches of the plastic replacement window industry. Visitors will learn the truth about "repairability" by handling actual "before & after" window sash samples in four conditions: beyond repair, repairable, maintainable and serviceable. Visitors will see experienced window workers demonstrate the most common maintenance and repair methods and talk with workers about the procedures, materials and relative costs of this work. This demonstration experience and a compelling one-page handout will give architects, tradespeople and building owners the "ammo" they need to protect their windows from this high-pressure sales tactic of the plastic replacement window industry.

OK folks, in this demonstration we will tell this compelling story with real sash and real work.

We need three or four sets of sample sashes (conditions may vary, but
you get the idea). Each set has two sash, one in ěas foundî condition, and one in repaired condition. The more similar the two sash in each set are the better, from the same window, or building would be best.

1. Beyond repair: 2 rotted out joints, one broken joint, missing
muntins, 3/4 of the bottom rail and half of a stile rotted away, broken glass. This sash is a basket case, ready for the compost pile, by anyone's standards.

2. Repairable: 1 rotted out joint, everything else good including glass.
This sash is what sells plastic windows, and what we all know how to repair.

3. Maintainable: Looks poor due to dirt, peeling paint and a little
missing putty, but everything else good. The vinyl guys should be
ashamed of themselves for saying "this sash is trash." We know better,
and here's the proof...

4. Serviceable: Obviously old, but all good conditions, paint and putty
intact, no broken glass. $0.00 dollar cost, just keep using it.

Each sash above has a companion sash that is completely repaired and maintained, clearly
labeled in 4" high letters: "Direct Cost of Work: $24.98" (or what ever the amount is) (think we should staple actual cash bills to the label)

Demonstration: have another few sash on which you are actually doing the
same repairs and maintenance. When a visitor stops to talk, get them to
touch and handle the "before" and the "after" sash, then show them the
repair you are working on, explain the work, explain the typical cost
for this repair and a whole window, and compare that cost with the cost of plastic vinyl window replacement. Then (and this is a key point) ask them why they want to save their windows. Hand them one of the sash in good condition and assure them that their windows can be saved. (Guide the Hand, Inform the Mind, Open the Heart) Then hand them the Window Worker's Alliance information sheet and your business card. We will be in their hearts and in their buildings working on windows!

We'll see how often we can run this demonstration, at least for a
2 or 3 hours on one day, perhaps longer, perhaps every day. Besides
the visiting public seeing this demonstration, I'll shoot video of it,
and we can all use the video on our websites. (see my online videos at:
http://historichomeworks.phovi.com/ Including one I shot at the last
conference, and some on painting and wood repairs, window video coming).
(You can have this same video at your website too. WooHooooo! --John)

Resources:

Equipment & Tools: My full-day windows workshop is on Wed, the first day of the conference, so most or all of the benches, sash easels, work tables, etc. will be available. Those demonstrating will probably want to bring their own tools, materials, sash to work on, etc.

Storage Space: Iíll pin this down with the organizers, --John (we can leave larger equipment on the exhibit floor over night, but should take all small tools and valuables to our lodging or vehicles at the end of each day.

Work Space: Usually the conference has demonstration workspaces set up, with electricity, cleanable floors, light weight tables, etc., Iíll confirm this with the organizers, --John

Schedule & Logistics: Allison, the organizers have approved this topic so you can move right ahead on a schedule and plan out who will do what, when, how goods will be shifted from point A to B, etc.. Everything should be planned by the end of January.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proposed Demonstration Topic: Glazing

People are always fascinated to see glazing. And it's easy to gear up and move in, a sash under one are, and a bucket of tools and materials in the other hand.

I can provide some of my putty sample boards that show side-by-side lines of different glazing compounds. Such as:

And I can provide one or two glazing easels by shifting them from my Wednesday windows workshop over to the demonstration venue. The sash easels can go back-to-back forming an A-frame. A single easel looks like this:

The easels are particularly good for demonstrations because they hold the sash up high, which attracts attention of passers-by and makes it easy for everyone to see the glazing.

There will be a crowd of on-lookers whenever anyone is glazing. These on-lookers are our future prospects. Every one of them needs to have an Alliance leaflet in their hand as they walk away.

To see what it's like demonstrating at the TBConf, check this out:

http://historichomeworks.wordpress.com/2006/10/18/timber-framing-2/

For this demonstration someone needs to sign up to do the demonstration and bring their glazing kit and a sash.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought

Last edited by johnleeke on Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:51 am; edited 5 times in total
WindowWoman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Painting as a demo? Reply with quote

There always seem to be questions about paint and windows. Maybe this would make a good topic for a workshop. Like, what gets painted (and doesn't) on double hungs, casements, etc. Interior paint goes where? Exterior paint goes where? and my favorite, how to paint neatly so you don't spend days scraping paint off when you are done. If this idea flies I'd be happy to write up a better description.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alison:

I agree, perhaps Paint & Putty, since the two have to be "interwoven" for best performance. Go ahead and write up a draft and post it. Thanks.

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Schedule Needed Soon Reply with quote

The organizers need a schedule of our demonstrations, including a time, title and brief description. They need it by Saturday, if we are to get the space to demonstrate in.

The main exhibit hall (the location of our "Traditional Building LIVE" area) is open to the public on the following schedule:

Thur 11:00am to 5:00pm

Fri 11:00am to 5:00pm

Sat 10:00am to 3:00pm

The exhibit hall will be open to us in the mornings for setup, etc.

So, we need to give them a start and end time for each demo. Please fill in the follow table by posting a message.

Keep in mind that most of us are committed to the Window Small Shop Session, Thur 1-3:30pm.

Day__Start-Time__End-Time__ Demo-Title_______Person-Responsible
----__------------__-----------__--------------------__-----------------------

Last edited by johnleeke on Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Painting Sash Demonstration Reply with quote

Painting sash demonstration:

As you plan this keep in mind that you'll need to bring enough sash to keep painting for a while, and then you'll have sash with wet paint to deal with. Acrylic paint might dry by the end of the day, or the next morning, but this assumes that there will be demonstrations the next day and you will be onsite the next day to to take care of them, and they will be dry enough to handle and haul back home.

I just got email from someone reviewing our plans here:

Quote:
If you haven't already done it, it might serve you well to check on the
fire codes at Hynes. I had a booth there a few years ago, and am familiar
with the place. If you are using paint, the Boston Fire Dept. might want
to see documentation, or require some special procedures, even for latex
paint, and rags with latex paint on them. They normally walk through to
check out trade shows, and their word is law. They can shut you down until they find out what you're doing isn't a problem.

I'm telling you this to help you avoid a nasty surprise.

I hope the show is successful, and I look forward to seeing you there.

Yes, I had to deal with this when I was an exhibitor in 1995, but had been overlooking it here.

I'll check with the organizers. But in the meantime, we must plan to bring MSDS sheets for all products and materials we plan to use in the demonstrations.

The safety policy I follow in my own shop and that we will use during the Wednesday workshop is:

No soiled rags or paper towels are left laying on workbenches, tables or the floor--NONE, EVER, not even one rag for one minute.

Any soiled rag or paper towel is only in one of three places:

-- In your hand.

-- In your pocket.

-- In a container of water, which is in the Red Safety Disposal Can.

No soiled rags or paper towels are left laying on workbenches, tables or the floor--EVER.

It would be good for the Alliance to formally adopt a safety policy statement for these demonstrations.

Last edited by johnleeke on Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to offer a glazing demo, or should i say many glazing demos, throughout the day(s) ...i just got home from being away on business...please let me get back to you about the times as i would like to go to at least one workshop as well as assist john in one workshop and participate in the business workshop.....

this is going to be good, busy AND good.....

....jade
jade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wednesday is fairly open for me......john, your workshop/master class is from 9-5 and i volunteered to assist you...let me know when you would like to have me there--all day or half a day...

thursday i would like to attend a workshop from 8--11:15 then participate in the small business workshop from 1--3:30...

friday i would like to attend (and be the devil's advocate!) the marvin window discussion from noon to 1:30...and the paint conservation conference from 4--5....

of course i want to wonder around each day to see all the attendees and to heckle all the plastic vendors!!

...jade
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it looks like we've got a few more days to get this schedule together.

Andy called saying he was planning to demonstrate repairs to dog-chewed sash, which sounds good.

Someone needs to assemble these offers into a schedule as shown above and post it here.

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my contributions to the demonstrations I'll provide some backup and support:

-- safety station setup

-- one set of two back-to-back A-frame type glazing easels.

-- putty sample boards, although they may be rather "poked over" and somewhat "used up" after the Wednesday workshop.

-- one 2'x5' wooden carpenter's workbench with face vice and tail vice, stop dogs, etc..

-- shooting photos and video of demonstrations (for anyone who wants to be in them, if you don't want to be in them I won't take any of you). I'll post some of these at my website, and make them available for Alliance use and for anyone who wants them for their own website and other marketing.

If you want to see how I am currently using this sort of video and photos, see:

http://historichomeworks.phovi.com/

and:

http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/education/seminars.htm

Last edited by johnleeke on Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
jade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wednesday 3-8

9-5 (?) assist john/make contacts
thursday 3-9

11:30-12:30 glazing putty jade
4:00 - 5:00 glazing putty jade

friday 3-10

11:00-2:00 glazing putty jade
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Safety Policy Reply with quote

I just got email from someone reviewing our plans here on the Forum:

Quote:
If you haven't already done it, it might serve you well to check on the
fire codes at Hynes. I had a booth there once, and am familiar
with the place. If you are using paint, the Boston Fire Dept. might want
to see documentation, or require some special procedures, even for latex
paint, and rags with latex paint on them. They normally walk through to
check out trade shows, and their word is law. They can shut you down until they find out what you're doing isn't a problem.

I'm telling you this to help you avoid a nasty surprise.

I hope the show is successful, and I look forward to seeing you there.

Yes, I had to deal with this when I was an exhibitor in 1995, and they did check up on us during the show. But, I had been overlooking it here.

I'll check with the organizers. But in the meantime, we must plan to bring MSDS sheets for all products and materials we plan to use in the demonstrations, so they can be reviewed by any officials who what to see them. Also, we will be wise to follow all the guidelines in the MSDS.

The safety policy I follow in my own shop and that we will use during the Wednesday workshop is:

No soiled rags or paper towels are left laying on workbenches, tables or the floor--NONE, EVER, not even one rag for one minute.

Any soiled rag or paper towel is only in one of three places:

-- In your hand.

-- In your pocket.

-- In a container of water, which is in the Red Safety Disposal Can.

No soiled rags or paper towels are left laying on workbenches, tables or the floor--EVER.

Remember we are not only demonstrating our knowledge about windows, but also our attitude and approach to safety is open to pubic view.

It would be wise for the Alliance to formally adopt a safety policy statement for these demonstrations. In fact, I think we should have a formal safety program, just like we do when we are working in our own shops or someone else's building.

Here are a few basic safety requirements I use on all my projects:

1. There must be a written safety policy and formal safety program. (written copy onsite and available to any interested party at all times, includes MSDSs)

2. A formally designated safety officer onsite during active work periods. (can be a "part-time duty" so even a single worker can be his own safety officer)

3. Safety check of the worksite at the beginning and end of every work period. (with written notes)

4. Daily safety meeting (required even if there is only one person onsite, can be as brief as a few minutes, written notes required)

Can someone volunteer to set up a small "safety station" for the demonstrations with a first aid kit, eye wash bottle, Safety program binder ,etc.?

OK, ok, I'll have most of that at my Wed. workshop, and will bring it to the demonstration venue.

I'd like someone else to share the responsibility on this and step up to formulate the Safety Statement for the demonstrations. Many contractors and tradespeople on my projects do this on a single page. It could be as simple as:

"It is our intent to operate a safe worksite, and here is how we do that...." with things listed like the numbered items above.

I had one when the fire marshal inspected my exhibit in 1995. He walked up to my exhibit, flashed his ID and said "this display (made of homosote) looks like a fire hazard." I handed him my safety program binder, open to the tech sheet and MSDS for the fire retardant I had treated the display with. He read the tech sheet, flipped through the rest of the binder, noting our daily safety notes, handed me the binder and said, "Alright, looking good here."

Last edited by johnleeke on Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Glazing Demo Reply with quote

Quote:

thursday 3-9

11:30-12:30 glazing putty jade
4:00 - 5:00 glazing putty jade

friday 3-10

11:00-2:00 glazing putty jade

OK Jade, that's great. Can you write a one- or two-sentence description of what you will show?

sswiat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Weatherstripping and wood parts replacement Reply with quote

John:

I would be open to weatherstripping and wood parts replacement.

If these are good topics then I can put something together on them.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> TB Conference Planning, Windows, Mar. 2007 Goto page 1, 2  Next 
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: