sliding garage door hardware
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> All Other  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonVS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: sliding garage door hardware Reply with quote

I've searched the internet and asked as many people as possible about getting additional hardware for my garage but it doesn't seem to exist.

The two garage doors are hung and slide horizontally side to side.

The channel's cross section looks like a backwards J with its top connected to a normal J:
______
|^^^^|
|^^^^|
|_|^|_ | (the "^" to view properly but they represent space)

The doors can only be about 1 inch thick and a metal plate (one for the left side of the door, one on the right side) with two wheels rides on the one side of the channel. The back of the plate for the one side has to pass the back of the plate for the other door without getting hung up.

The problem is the doors are sagging in the center. The concrete floor is crowned, making it difficult to bolster from the bottom (unless I get a very strong spring to mount a wheel to).

So I'm looking for additional hanging hardware. Pocket door hardware won't be up to the task.

I've been able to hook up a garage door opener to open one side. When I've talked to 3 businesses in the area who "specialize" in garage doors they don't even know what I'm talking about if I tell them I have horizontally sliding garage doors. My area has lots of houses dating back to the '20s so I assume they are just replaced with sliders or horrible california style swing-ups. They don't know anything and have no leads.

Do these exist anywhere?
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've talked to 3 businesses in the area who "specialize" in garage doors and they don't even know what I'm talking about

two words:

Marketing blindness.

When you are talking to them about your antique garage door hardware do their eyes get that "vacant" look? They don't know what your are talking about because they really don't specialize in garage doors; they specialize in marketing and intalling replacement garage doors; and they do it for MONEY, not because they love garage doors. They are blind to anything that does not lead directly to garage door sales and money.

two more words:

Money talks.

Make friends with the salesmen at all three garage door companies and get several of their cards. While you're at it get the names of the guys who actually install the doors. Print up a few pictures of your doors that show the hardware and write your phone number and address on the back. Then stop by the bank and pick up a few brand new crisp $100 bills. Now, head down to each garage door company to see the installer guys. You can catch up with them by hanging around out back of the garage door shop about 7:00am, or better yet catch them at the coffee shop down the street about 6:30am and buy them a cup of coffee. When you're talking with the installer guy, real friendly like, pull out your pictures and a crisp $100 bill. With a flurish, tear a corner off the bill that has the number "100" on it, and staple it a photo. Hand him the photo and tell him the rest of the bill is his when he brings you matching hardware that is in good condition and ready to use. Do this at each garage door company. (don't tear off more than one corner from each bill though, if too much is missing you may not be able to cash it back in at the bank, but don't return them to the bank quite yet.)

Quote:
Do these exist anywhere?

two words:

Probably so.

If they do exist it's now your job to find them. Scout around the area and find a few houses that have garage doors just like yours. Knock on the front door and hand the homeowner three garage salesmen cards, one from each company. Then, on the 25th of the month, give the address of each house to each of the salesmen at each garage door company. (Why the 25th? Because that's the day every good garage door salesman is scrambling to make his end of the month sales quota.)

If you don't have all the hardware you need within ten days, go back to each house and offer them $100 for the hardware off their garage door and suggest they consider it a discount for the new garage door they couldn't quite afford. If that doesn't work, I have just

two final words:

Custom Fabrication.

If you know exactly what pieces of hardware you want and can make accurate measured drawings of it, or have a samples of the parts and need more, you can go to a machinist shop and have your parts made. It's not inexpensive, but those "C" notes you been carrying around in your pocket are starting to look pretty shabby, so you might as well spend them.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought

Last edited by johnleeke on Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alison Hardy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding garage door hardware Reply with quote

Try McMaster Carr,www.mcmaster.com, they seem to have all sorts of things that might work. We found hangers for side sliding garage doors after looking what we thought was everywhere!

JasonVS wrote:
I've searched the internet and asked as many people as possible about getting additional hardware for my garage but it doesn't seem to exist.

The two garage doors are hung and slide horizontally side to side.

The channel's cross section looks like a backwards J with its top connected to a normal J:
______
|^^^^|
|^^^^|
|_|^|_ | (the "^" to view properly but they represent space)

The doors can only be about 1 inch thick and a metal plate (one for the left side of the door, one on the right side) with two wheels rides on the one side of the channel. The back of the plate for the one side has to pass the back of the plate for the other door without getting hung up.

The problem is the doors are sagging in the center. The concrete floor is crowned, making it difficult to bolster from the bottom (unless I get a very strong spring to mount a wheel to).

So I'm looking for additional hanging hardware. Pocket door hardware won't be up to the task.

I've been able to hook up a garage door opener to open one side. When I've talked to 3 businesses in the area who "specialize" in garage doors they don't even know what I'm talking about if I tell them I have horizontally sliding garage doors. My area has lots of houses dating back to the '20s so I assume they are just replaced with sliders or horrible california style swing-ups. They don't know anything and have no leads.

Do these exist anywhere?
joaquink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Exactly Reply with quote

I spent several hours looking on the internet to no avail...no one seems to carry garage door openers for horizontally sliding doors. Is is possible to mount a regular garage door sideways so it will open an close the door? Has anyone done this before?
Andy in NH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: horizontal openers Reply with quote

I adapted a standard garage door opener to open a large flat barn-style garage door at my last house. Only real piece of special work was a welded bracket (big right angle piece, well reinforced) that allowed me to attatch the opener to the door. The trick is to avoid ANY sideways force(i.e. angular or off-axis forces on the door opener mechanism or track), so as long as you can put your pulling force parallel to the door and in-line with the opener you should be fine.

Andy
jerry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When looking for this type of hardware you should not consider it a garage door since most garage doors are now overhead doors. Search under "barn" door hardware or carrage door hardware. You can also follow the link below to a good site.

http://www.crown-industrial.com/frames/hardwarecat.pdf
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry:

Thanks for the insight on correct naming, and for the excellent source!

petely

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been looking for a company that sells automatic openers for quite a while. I recently discovered a company called real carriage doors that sells sliding door automatic openers and hardware:
http://www.realcarriagedoors.com/hardware-cat.php?page=openers

Also, here is DIY article I found interesting on restoring old sliding doors.
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_outdoor_structures/article/0,2037,DIY_13927_4528543,00.html
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, thanks for the excellent resources.

donn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably have found a solution by now, I am actually surprised to see you searched for so long. Why didn't you went for a garage door professional? Minneapolis garage door installed mine and I didn't had to go through all this trouble.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONN:

Welcome to the Forum. You are lucky to have a good garage door outfit. Were you saving the old doors and hardware, or getting a new door?

donn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I got a new door, there were some new technical features included and I wanted to take advantage of that.
mario

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local Tractor Supply carries the track and hangers for barn (garage) doors and has hangers for configurations of 2 and more sections.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-improvement/hardware/door-hardware/rails-hangers/

I so badly wanted to use these for the back of my garage, but it would have cut down on the open area for access to tools and my stored bikes.

Best of luck with your project!

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> All Other  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: