Update - Looking for Ideas
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> The Business Side, Vermont, 2004 & 2006, Jacksonville 2007  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danielle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Update - Looking for Ideas Reply with quote

Hope everyone is doing great - I am still telling people about the workshop in November. I have been working on additional marketing avenues and Jonathan is writing down his time on a daily basis. We have been selected by the Pennsylvania Museum Commission to have an apprentice from a trade school over twelve weeks this summer to encourage interest in the preservation trades.

Anyway I am working on a seminar that we are offering to homeowners in our area this spring 'How to approach work on your older home'. I am working on developing a powerpoint presentation and marketing this toward homeowners interested in maintance on their homes - not so much whole house restoration which has been our primary focus. During the workshop I know that John had said that it is possible to purchase the Old House Journal mailing list for an area. Who do I contact for that information and pricing?

Also another issue we have been dealing with is creating perceived value with our clients - I feel that we provide value for the cost but I have been feeling that I need to let them know how much we do for the hourly rate. Any ideas on how to do this would be appreciated.

I am also working on a presentation folder of work completed on a pretty well known historic restaurant to give to the local, regional, and state historic organizations for their records. I am struggling a little as to what to include - is an overview of the work with pictures enough?

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it is possible to purchase the Old House Journal mailing list for an area. Who do I contact for that information and pricing?

To "rent" Restore Media (the parent company of OHJ) subscriber lists, call the Information Refinery Co. (800 529-9020x29) and talk with Brahm. The process includes a detailed review and approval of any mailing items you plan to send out. The review is done by Restore Media staff to assure it is appropriate for their readership. Let us know what you find out.

Quote:

...folder of...work completed on a pretty well known historic restaurant to give to the local, regional, and state historic organizations for their records. I am struggling...

If this is a promotional piece intended to let them know what you do, then an overview with a few captioned photos would be suitable, just one or possibly two pages.

If this is intended to be the formal documentation of the project to become part of the historical record, then it might be known as a "completion report" and include a repeat of the project's stated preservation philosophy, and what strategies you used to meet that philosophy. For example, if the philosophy was "preserve historic fabric" then described how you did spot woodwork repairs instead of removing woodwork and replacing it with all new wood. Then follow up with detailed descriptions of the methods and materials you used at which locations on the building, before, during and after photos, captioned, etc. Usually, if a detailed completion report is required it is included in the contract and you you get paid to write it up and distribute it. Sometimes the architect or project manager handles it, sometimes the contractor.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> The Business Side, Vermont, 2004 & 2006, Jacksonville 2007  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: