period lighting for 1906
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> All Other  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CL C

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: period lighting for 1906 Reply with quote

Help with 1906 lighting

Last edited by CL C on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
jade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camille...
Where are you located? The Old House Journal has a Restoration Directory that lists hundreds of lighting retailers and/or manufacturers of new and/or used products. I'd be happy to look something up for you or you can go to any good sized book store and purchase the directory yourself......

Good Luck......Jade
sswiat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Period Lighting Reply with quote

Camille:

You may want to try rejuvenation.com.

They specialze in period lighting. I have never purchased from them but their catalog comes to me about once or twice a year.

They appear to have some nice lighting fixtures.
CL C

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you- I'll check out the restoration directory and
rejuvination.com. Thanks for the leads- having a jumping off
point makes it much easier!
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, keep an eye on eBay. Use their automatic search feature that sends you an email notice when something comes up.

So many eBay auctions have photos that it can be a real education on what electrical fictures have been used.

All of the light fixtures but one, a 3-bulb ceiling fixture, had been removed from our 1899 house here in Portland, Maine. On eBay I found an exactly matching one, and then ask the seller if she had any others from the same house. She had another 3-light and 5-light chandelier and a couple wall sconces, all in the same transitional art nouveau/deco style, even with the same paint colors. Then I asked her to ship them to me, and she said I could just stop over and pick them up--she live right here in Portland, and the house they came from was about 8 blocks from here, and built about the same time in our middle class neighborhood.

Many of the light fixtures sold in the middle class market were "bushel basket fixtures." So called because they were made up from baskets of parts left over from high-end projects where the light fixtures were custom designed and fabricated. They are sometimes a mixture of differently styled parts.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Sallyanne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: period lighting for 1906 Reply with quote

Camile Coyne wrote:
Hi,
My husband and I have just purchased a home built in 1906. Unfortunately all of the lighting fixtures were removed in all of the common rooms- 15 in all. The house, style wise, is right at the cusp of Victorian becoming Arts and Crafts.
There are examples of both styles throughout the house. The lighting that I've looked at so far has either been very Victorian in style or very Arts and Crafts. Does anyone know of sources for lighting that can straddle that line and not be too far on either side? We'd like to use period pieces but will use reproductions if we have to. Thanks!
Hi Camila we have been renovating a similar period property and found an excellent web site selling Hand Forged Period Lighting and Architectural Ironmongery. The lighting is absolutely beautiful and of a high quality - well worth a look http://www.tuscanor.co.uk
amandacris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: period lighting for 1906 Reply with quote

Camile Coyne wrote:
Hi,
My husband and I have just purchased a home built in 1906. Unfortunately all of the lighting fixtures were removed in all of the common rooms- 15 in all. The house, style wise, is right at the cusp of Victorian becoming Arts and Crafts.
There are examples of both styles throughout the house. The lighting that I've looked at so far has either been very Victorian in style or very Arts and Crafts. Does anyone know of sources for lighting that can straddle that line and not be too far on either side? We'd like to use period pieces but will use reproductions if we have to. Thanks!

Hey Camille, you can visit this shopping comparison site for home lighting! They have many varieties of designs from different brand and stores as well. There's a lot to choose from. Hopefully you find something that matches the house.
Mike-in-Maine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a 1901 home of middle class, I'm in the same boat. Its a definate "transitional" styling thing... to add to the difficulties, my home is rife with fleur de lis' everywhere (door fixtures, tin ceilings, railing brackets, etc) and that makes it even more tricky to match themes when browsing for items from the era, most especially, with regards to lighting).

Good luck!
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> All Other  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: