Roller Shades as for Energy Savings
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Interior Storm Windows  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tckolloff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Roller Shades as for Energy Savings Reply with quote

I was reading the article "Old Windows" from the September 1980 Old-House Journal and the article mentioned that "a lowly roller shade can be a great energy saver for a remarkably low investment." The article states that installing a roller shade inside the frame and running the shade in channels or tracks along the sides of the frame can help insulate the glass.

I was wondering if there has been anymore recent studies or discussion of this idea's effectiveness. Also, if the idea has merit, I wondered if there were other more "green" options for shading material besides vinyl that could still provide similar energy benefits and be installed on a roller.

Any tips, input, or first-hand experience would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Todd
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've been using ordinary roller shades at my house to keep the cold out and the heat in. On the east, south and west side I roll them up when the sun is shining and down when the sun goes by. Really helps. When up the infra-red rays of the sunlight stream right in warming up the floor or anything they land on, including you. On the north side I keep them down all the time unless I'm in the room and want the light.When down they block convection currents of air keeping the room air warmer. They also trap an air space that provides some thermal insulation.

I have some electronic dataloggers that monitor air temperature every hour. Operating the roller shades gives me a 2-3 degree boost in the room on sunny days, and keeps the room 3-5 degrees warmer at night--not dramatic, but every little bit helps.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
rbfoy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: shades to moderate temperature Reply with quote

We also use shades to moderate the temperature of our house. The honeycomb blinds with heavy metal bottom edge are very effective at keeping the chill at bay in the evening. In the summer, I lower them mid-morning (especially on the south-facing rear elevation) to keep the sun out, and raise them in the evening to allow breezes in. In the winter, I lower them in the evening to keep the heat in, and raise them in the morning to let the sun warm the house. It is a big help.
TDL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honeycomb celluar shades work great. You can get inexpensive ones or really high end ones. I put them on my entire first floor and it made a noticable difference.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Interior Storm Windows  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: