wallpaper residue
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rncx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: wallpaper residue Reply with quote

so moving on to the rest of my house, apparently the original walls were wallpapered. there's no paint underneath the wallpaper i've meticulously removed upstairs.

glue residue, on the other hand, there's plenty of, and it's not easy to remove since it's pretty well bonded to the unpainted walls.

so the question is, is it possible to stabilize that glue residue for a skim coat with a primer before a new skim coat without painstakingly removing it all?

a few searches on the web seem to suggest people using a primer called guardz from zinnser for this purpose.

any of you plasterers have an opinion on this?
TDL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My walls were the same way when I bought the house. I was able to get it all off with hot water in a spray bottle and scraping off the majority of the glue. After that I scrubbed the wall with many brillo pads. The plaster was in good shape so I patch areas that need attention and primed with zinnser primer.
jbmnd93

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished that job on two bedrooms. Warm distilled vinegar (diluted 50% with water). Apply with a standard spray bottle. Sit for 5 minutes. Scrape off with razor blade while still damp. I didn't nick or gouge the plaster once, but I did shave smooth about a dozen patches I came across in the process.

The walls are glass smooth, but at an angle I can still see patches of glue remnants. I'm going with a coat of gardz just to make sure the top coats don't reactivate the glue and wrinkle.
Bailey House

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used fabric softner with warm water and those plastic scouring pads or luffa sponges to get the glue residue off of our walls. It has worked really well so far. I haven't tried skim coating anything yet to see if it reacts with whatever we apply over it.

You could probably neutralize the fabric softner with vinegar and water.
rncx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update and progress...

my plasterer assured me that he skims over well bonded residue without issues.

they came in and scraped pretty roughly on the walls to get them roughed up and to get any loose paper/plaster gone. then they went over the remaining residue with their bonder, and put a second coat of bonder down and started with the plaster while the second coat of bonder was still wet. the idea, in his words, is as long as it's stuck, and it's saturated so that the residue won't leech the water from the plaster, it'll be fine.

before and during pics...

you can see in the second pic how much residue on the walls we're talking about (wall, lower left corner).

01-24-11_1125.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.06 KB
 Viewed:  644 Time(s)

01-24-11_1125.jpg

01-24-11_1126.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.88 KB
 Viewed:  620 Time(s)

01-24-11_1126.jpg

rncx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 month update to this, i haven't painted the walls yet, i figured i would wait and see how they would hold up.

and, they have. haven't found anything loose, the plaster seems to be bonded just fine.

so i guess my plasterer was right, you can plaster over well bonded residues to an extent. there is some bleeding of the brown color through the plaster itself, but the paint primer will fix that.
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used enzyme-type paste remover with success.

Thanks for posting updates on your progress.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
skipshot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Painted Over Wall Paper Residue Reply with quote

First time I hired someone to work on my home.... He said he removed all wall paper and residue. He heavily sanded all the plaster walls and painted, prime and 2 finish coats. Now,a year later, in many places where there was a seam the paint is splitting open and rising up, curling slightly. I can only presume he failed to remove everything before sanding & painting. I am scratching my head on how to remove the mess. A thin scraper will lift it out. Do I just patch with spackle, sand and repaint or should I go further in removal. If so, just how far? Is there a chemical or material that will make this job a bit less painful?
rncx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of seam?

Do you have old style plaster over some sort of wood or metal lath or are we talking about a seam from drywall, perhaps you had plaster over blueboard?

If he plastered over some sort of drywall I would suspect the tape used on the seams is the culprit.

More details.

Two year update on my original post, no adhesion issues, just a few cracks to fix.

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: