Portland skim coat on exterior of stone home
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Portland skim coat on exterior of stone home Reply with quote

Howdy folks. I;ve got a question and wondered if I could get some input from some experts.

I have a Stone home that dates back to 1791. The North side of the house (gable end) gets all of the weather. All storms seem to come in from the north and the prevailing wind is form the north 90% of the time. THis side of the house gets a lot of wind driven rain as well.

At some point, rather than repointing it, somebody decided to skim coat the entire side of the building with a Portland based cement. (the bedding mortar , original pointing and interior plaster is lime based without Portland)

The remaining 3 sides have been repointed with a soft , albeit, Portland mortar. it appears that the pointing will be able to be removed ok in order to reponit with a lime based mortar, but the skim coated wall seems like it is here to stay.

SInce I can't remove it, I thought I would paint it in order to try to freshen it up. The problem is that I don't know what to paint with.
Trying to use a breathable alternative like milk paint or whitewash seems pointless since the portland is already preventing that wall from breathing. At this point I think that I just want it sealed really well to keep exterior moisture/driven rain, etc. out.

Should I just use a good latex or acrylic paint or is there something better?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

HB

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: