Shower Tile on double wythe exterior wall
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lukeandtammy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Shower Tile on double wythe exterior wall Reply with quote

My wife and I recently purchased an historic farm house in LaPorte, IN. We are in the demo stage, and trying to learn as much as we can about old brick structures and what is and isn't allowed. For the sake of the trim, we are going to try to save as much plaster as possible. We are finding out though that this could make many items down the road much more difficult, running electrical, plumbing, insulation, etc. I am not too concerned about the energy efficiency of the house as we will be installing a couple wood stoves. I also have some ideas for the electrical and plumbing as we have access to both floors through the basement and attic spaces. My biggest concern at the moment is not doing anything to affect the brick structure. What is and isn't allowed to be installed directly over plaster walls?

The first room we're working on is converting a downstairs bedroom into a bathroom. Can we install durarock over plaster? Do we need to insall firring strip first? How big a gap would we need to leave? Can we install tile directly on to plaster? I'm sure this will be the first of many questions, and it looks like this is a pretty nice forum with lots of knowledge! I can provide pictures if needed. Thanks!
JLee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry no one got back to you...
I have a similar situation, you don't need durarock over the plaster.
It would probably make the wall too thick anyway, esp. with furring strips.
I'd bed the tile directly over the plaster, assuming its in good shape and fairly level.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: