Exterior colour for PVC & Aluminum window casement conun
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlaisHouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Exterior colour for PVC & Aluminum window casement conun Reply with quote

I am in the final process of planning colours and working with a professional painter to repair the failing exterior paint on my c.1913 Queen Anne style home.

What type of primer and paint should they specifically be using? We narrowed it down to a Sherwin Williams Product.

The current exterior fašade is cupping, bubbling, peeling and alligatored due to a shoddy prep job by the previous home owners.

I have a lot of faith in the contractors I have chosen, but I am a woman who likes to do extra homework, in developing my knowledge of home preservation. I like to know for myself. :)

Attached, is a picture of the home in its existing colours.

The custom body colour ( resembling SW Mountain Road 7743) will remain the same, the window trim will be SW Raisin 7630.

The railing is now painted Tricorn Black 6258. The stairs are now unpainted wood. The Victorian screen door is painted Blazing Bonfire Behr P250-7.

Sadly the previous owners replaced most of the original windows with white PVC windows. Even more sad, are the ALUMINUM storm sashes on the lower bay window.

How should I approach this in the name of conservation AND aesthetics? In no way, do I think the white, nor aluminum belongs. Can they paint them or should we try to work with the white? The painter has many reservations about painting aluminum and PVC and I don't blame them!

I currently do no have the budget to replace any windows.

Your input is appreciated!

HousePicInvite.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.14 MB
 Viewed:  369 Time(s)

HousePicInvite.jpg

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show a close up photo of the failing paint?

What Sherwin Williams product are you focusing in on?

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
BlaisHouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Pictures of paint failure Reply with quote

The first picture resembles most of what the paint failure resembles.
Second pic indicates a lesser occurrence of failure in certain spots. The fašade of house faces south. Our climate resembles North Dakota.

paintalligators[1].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.96 KB
 Viewed:  5784 Time(s)

paintalligators[1].jpg

paint_failure[1].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  188.16 KB
 Viewed:  373 Time(s)

paint_failure[1].jpg

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paintalligators[1].jpg
If long-term performance of the coming paint job is important, paint in this condition usually has to be completely removed down to bare wood to start over with all new coatings.

paint_failure[1].jpg
Big "blisters" like this are usually caused by moisture building up behind a highly flexible elastomeric-type paint coating. They are often filled with water when they first appear. The water may dry out leaving an empty space behind the blister.
It usually makes sense to investigate building and water conditions to determine the source of the water and mitigate that source before repainting. This should be done before the painters do any surface preparation work, because that work may erase important evidence that could be used to find the source of the water.

What are your painters planning to do to prepare both of these surfaces for painting?

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
BlaisHouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, since I first initiated this post, a contractor, whom I was confident in their knowledge of the profession, applied exterior fašade and trim paint.
To my horror on the 2nd day of their work, this was not the case and they completely botched the job. I ordered Stop Work immediately.

Semi gloss paint was applied over the existing alligatored paint. It is estimated that now the new contractor will need to remove the incorrect paint they applied over mostly bare wood. They were greedy contractors who tried to get away with a splash-and-dash application that took 2 days - without spending time to scrape and prep properly and slapped on the paint before I had say-so.

We are now in discussion of a labour-intensive near to full strip of the new and very old paint layers underneath. We are unsure of the proper SW product to be used at this moment. It is agreed that some type of oil or oil/hybrid primer will be needed in the prep stages.

The finish is also desired to remain in a flat or matte finish, for uniformity with the outbuildings.

SW Duration was used on the trim of garage and it is beautiful paint to work with.Please note that the garage building is much newer (1969) and the wood in much better condition.

There does not appear to be any source of water accumulation on the fašade of the home. Rather, the house had an elderly owner prior to my ownership who allowed the exterior to deteriorate over a few decades.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: