water in basement
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Victor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: water in basement Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently moved into a hundred year old house with what looks like a cinder block looking foundation. Hard to tell with all the layers of paint on it. I'm in WA state, and lots and lots of cement was manufactured here in the day. There is even a town on the eastern side of the state called Concrete.

Additionally, there is what looks like linoleum tiled floor down there as well.

A few weeks ago, after an unusually hard rain, there were a few puddles of water in the middle of the floor. My first instinct was to look up, but the ceiling was dry. I walked the perimeter of the basement and the walls were all dry.

When I had the house inspected, the inspector was pretty confident that there was no water problems in this basement because if there were the water would have dissolved the glue and the tiles would have peeled up... or something like that.

Apparently there is some sort of a ground water problem when there is extreme rain.

Being that this place is a century old, what type of product would be used to seal the floor? Or would it be sealed?

Thanks,
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: