chimney work - siloxane, dampers and mortars
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waxahatchie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: chimney work - siloxane, dampers and mortars Reply with quote

after i chased the first chimney contractor off with repeated questions about his materials and usage practices, i got another repair quote; looking for some feedback from you folks.

1. i have a throat damper that needs replacing, and both companies wanted to install a top-closing replacement version like a lymance. i see cables, pulleys, rivets and springs and see failure points; they see an inefficient seal, and also insist that it is nearly impossible to replace a throat damper in an existing fireplace (the damper is put in when firebox is built, and much labor is required to remove and replace in situ).

2. three different companies have suggested spraying a water treatment on the chimney tops; the first wanted a sealer, the other two suggested chimney saver, a siloxane-based repellent they described as 'gore-tex for masony.' i see that the report here on tile conservation mentions siloxane as acceptable. the chimneys are soft marl and lime mortar, and one will need rebuilding soon. i may have that one done as an experiment. anyone actually have experience with masonry coated with it?

3. it was suggested that one firebox be coated with chamber-tech 2000, a fire mortar that basically lines the inside and turns it into a smooth surface, eliminating corbels, sharp angles and any chinks in the existing mortar. it is also supposed to reduce turbulence by increasing laminar flow, helping draft.
i am agnostic on this, as it has nothing in it really that i didn't use on my boilers back in the day - was just wondering if anyone had opinions on smoothing out the smoke shelf, etc.

there were suggestions on replacing roof caps due to downdrafts, etc, but he did agree with me that we should get the fireboxes in order and light a few fires before we do any work up there... none may be needed.
junkout

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a chimney sweep i have some opinions. one topsealing dampers are absolutly the best solution they seal much better than throught dampers and are very durable. also when the throught damper is removed you can open it up allot and get better flow. we try to stay away from sealers as much as possible a good crown good flashing and repointing will take care of most problems. sealers are temporary bandaids. smoothing the smoke chamber with chamber tech is a very good idea it can make the fireplace draft better and it adds insulation which can take care of most clearances to combustibles.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: