"Gracefully" failing modern paints?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: "Gracefully" failing modern paints? Reply with quote

I've read here that old linseed oil-based paints will fail "gracefully" by chalking off and simply requiring renewal of the oil.

I've also heard that waterborne acrylic/latex paints are far superior (durability, breathability) to modern solvent borne paints.

I am about to embark on painting the trim of my 1916 house (doug fir, extremely weathered). I want the paint job to last as long as possible but I am wondering what the future will hold for whoever deals with its failure and I want to plan for something easy to maintain.

Essentially, I wonder if the waterborne acrylic paints will require complete removal in (ideally) 20 years, rather than merely spot painting. I am also curious as to why modern solvent borne paints with oils in them do not fail gracefully (or do they?).

Is it possible, for example, to put a coat of linseed oil to renew a chalking modern solventborne paint?

Just curious to hear others' thoughts on this matter.

If it makes more sense to move this topic to another thread, please do so and apologies for creating a new topic.

Thanks

Ben
SashGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: "Gracefully" failing modern paints? Reply with quote

I'm a devoted fan of Fortis 450. Originally developed by Dulux Paints, the formula has been owned by ICI, Glidden Pro and now by PPG Paints.
I've been tracking one project where it was applied 14 years ago, and although it has faded slightly, it's still going strong in the heat and hmidity of Houston.
BenS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear about that paint. Do you have any prediction on what repainting/spot painting will look like with houses its been used on?
SashGuy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: "Gracefully" failing modern paints? Reply with quote

Of course, it does fade like any other paint, so spot painting anything is not recommended. Adhesion is very good, so painting over is not a problem.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: