Exterior door
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tanya



Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Exterior door Reply with quote

I am looking for exterior patio door and I have few concerns. It is a south side, so I am trying to choose wood type that will perform the best in such conditions, or maybe I should go with metal clad for outside part?

Any input will be appretiated.

p.s. fiberglass and steel is out of questions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sschoberg



Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 568
Location: Plymouth, Indiana

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal clad anything is not a good thing. Will leak, trap water, rot wood.

Will a typical patio door fit the general curb appeal as the rest of the home? Just asking!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tanya



Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sschoberg wrote:
Metal clad anything is not a good thing. Will leak, trap water, rot wood.

Will a typical patio door fit the general curb appeal as the rest of the home? Just asking!!


thank you! good to know about metal clad. But what type of wood then?

I was thinking french doors ..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Historicdoor



Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Posts: 94
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost anything "old growth"; otherwise Honduras or other Central American Mahogany or African woods like Bubbinga or African Mahogany are the most stable. You are correct to be concerned about wood species, BUT even the most stable wood MUST be finished properly to withstand the south sun. Also, be sure that whatever wood you select is vertical grain (quarter sawn). Last bit of advice to really make sure that your new door(s) will last...plant a shade tree or install an awning over the entry. Let us know what you decide.
_________________
Finish Well!
Gregory
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
rncx



Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 660
Location: Little Rock, AR

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aren't you in the northwest? if so, you should be able to get douglas fir locally that's pretty good quality. the more growth rings per inch the better (i would specify a minimum of 10, and quartersawn as historicdoor pointed out, meaning the rings in the end of the board point up and down, not side to side, vertical grain aka quartersawn boards stay straight). douglas fir is comparable to the yellow pines used down here in the southern/eastern US.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sswiat



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 231
Location: Cambria, New York

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the price tag will be a bit different between a good wood door and a metal clad!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tanya



Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rncx wrote:
aren't you in the northwest? if so, you should be able to get douglas fir locally that's pretty good quality. the more growth rings per inch the better (i would specify a minimum of 10, and quartersawn as historicdoor pointed out, meaning the rings in the end of the board point up and down, not side to side, vertical grain aka quartersawn boards stay straight). douglas fir is comparable to the yellow pines used down here in the southern/eastern US.


thank you,

All you guys are so helpfull. So douglas fir VG is ok? Should it be prefinished?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rncx



Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 660
Location: Little Rock, AR

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you let them deliver it painted, and you happen across a shady door/cabinet shop, anything can be hidden by paint.

here's what i'd specify when checking around...

you want old growth fir (minimum 10 rings per inch and as historicdoor poined out, quartersawn), mortised joints including the muntins (no loose tenons or dowels), and you want to see it dry-fit before gluing/glass/final assembly. anyone willing to put the above on an invoice up front is who to talk to.

where is this gonna go? do they need to make the frame too? is it going to go in an existing opening (if so they will need your hinges and measurements on their placement from the old door)? if they're to re-use your hardware they need that too. if you want input on the new hardware you need to pick that out first, since that affects the sizes of the parts, because the size of the lock is relevant to the width of the door stiles (the vertical parts, the doorknob has to center on that board, and the lock depth determines that). if the size of the opening will be changed will they need to cut studs and re-frame around it? then trim it after? figure all of these things out first. there's more to hanging a door than screwing hinges to a slab of wood ;).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tanya



Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rncx wrote:
if you let them deliver it painted, and you happen across a shady door/cabinet shop, anything can be hidden by paint.

here's what i'd specify when checking around...

you want old growth fir (minimum 10 rings per inch and as historicdoor poined out, quartersawn), mortised joints including the muntins (no loose tenons or dowels), and you want to see it dry-fit before gluing/glass/final assembly. anyone willing to put the above on an invoice up front is who to talk to.

where is this gonna go? do they need to make the frame too? is it going to go in an existing opening (if so they will need your hinges and measurements on their placement from the old door)? if they're to re-use your hardware they need that too. if you want input on the new hardware you need to pick that out first, since that affects the sizes of the parts, because the size of the lock is relevant to the width of the door stiles (the vertical parts, the doorknob has to center on that board, and the lock depth determines that). if the size of the opening will be changed will they need to cut studs and re-frame around it? then trim it after? figure all of these things out first. there's more to hanging a door than screwing hinges to a slab of wood ;).


Thank you,

How about windows? I am not able to find fir windows, only pine. Do you think it is ok?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cabinfeverarts



Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 116

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rncx wrote:
if you let them deliver it painted, and you happen across a shady door/cabinet shop, anything can be hidden by paint.

and you want to see it dry-fit before gluing/glass/final assembly.


I learned this the hard way. Take a look at the thread about my messed up door: http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1778

_________________
Sidney
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tanya



Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rncx,

I found this door at Home depot. It comes unfinished. Do you think it is ok? or I am totaly wrong?

http://homedepot.shoplocal.com/homedepotcatalog/default.aspx?action=entryflash&promotionchildtypeid=11
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rncx



Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 660
Location: Little Rock, AR

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything at home depot will be just veneer over particle board/plywood...a picture of wood over a substrate that's mostly glue and sawdust, basically.

if you want a solid wood door, you're gonna be pretty much limited to checking with local cabinet/millwork shops about having one custom made. no chain retailer sells solid wood doors that i know of.

the same goes for windows. if you want traditional windows, they'll be custom work. no one mass produces traditional style windows for the public anymore. even if they did, the quality would be suspect in all likelihood. these are things best done locally between yourself and the person who actually builds it, rather than through a middle man at a store who will pitch 'warranty' over 'quality' ;).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnleeke
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Posts: 3005
Location: Portland, Maine, USA

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
anything at home depot will be just veneer over particle board/plywood...a picture of wood over a substrate that's mostly glue and sawdust, basically.


I agree. These are really just imitation doors. They look just enough like doors that most consumers will think they are doors and buy them. They are made to do just two things and that is to sell and make money for Home Despot.

_________________
John

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows & Doors  
Post new topic   Reply to topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum