Reattaching Slumping Plaster
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neal Yonover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reattaching Slumping Plaster Reply with quote

I have to repair some plaster walls that are starting to separate from the lath.

I've re-read John's helpful 1989 JLC "Tips on Plaster Repair."

I'm wondering how a relatively new product like Big Wally's Plaster Magic, which epoxies the plaster to the lath, works. Has anyone used it? Is it as easy and fast as it looks?

Also, I'm a fan of plaster in general, but sometimes it seems more expedient to just pull it down and replace it with 5/8" drywall and get it done. Especially with my limited plastering skills.

I hope I'm not stepping into an area of sensitivity, but I'd appreciate any perspective from the members of the forum.

Thanks.

Neal
rncx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there plasterers where you live?

get a quote from them at least, you might be surprised at how little it would cost (as in not much more than covering it all with drywall) to have the walls reskimmed.

i will say this, no matter how quick you pick up on plastering a wall, you won't do it 1/5 as fast as a pro will. it's a skill, not just hourly labor, and they are amazingly fast. so if you value your time at all, it's one of those jobs that there's no shame in hiring out, imo.

i wouldn't put too much into gimmick products either, such as epoxies and glues and fiberglass paper. i've tried a few of them, but they'll never look as well as a finished result as you think they will.

plaster washers work, use those. if you want to save money, that's what i'd do. get the plaster washers, knock loose finish coat loose where ever it's loose, stabilize the parts where the base coat is loose with the washers, then call a plasterer and tell him you've done all the prep, and just need the walls skimmed. if they don't have to do the prep work, inspection, screwing loose parts down, etc, they can be in and out in a couple of days.

pitch a deal to them where when they get rained out of a stucco or swimming pool job they can come work at your house for a day instead, and you pay them in cash. that's the deal i have with my plasterers, and everyone is happy. it's like found money for them since they get extra cash work on days where they couldn't otherwise do anything, and it works out for me since i'm getting them to work at labor/materials plus. i have as much of the prep work done as i can before they get there, and i have a list of trouble spots that they need to work on for them so there are no surprises, they just mix, skim, and go.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: