Any experience with stucco?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Any experience with stucco? Reply with quote

I have built a 6' tall stone fence along the side of my house facing the street I will be extending it this year to finish at the property line. I'd like to continue it about 40 feet down the side of the property. I do not see myself having the time to do this much stone work in the evening and on the weekends. My thought is to use concrete block and stucco the face. I can then use stone as pillars and a cap. My problem is I have never worked with stucco.

How hard is it to get a nice finish? Water management won't be as big of a problem since it is only a fence and will not have any wood. Any tips or books I should read to learn how to do this?

My guess is I will get this this phase next year but I need to plan for the footers now. The rest of the property has a wood fence but I want something more solid by the house for some noise reduction.
rncx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a hawk and trowel are arguably the most complicated tools in the world for a beginner, no matter how easy those guys make it look ;). i personally have no skills with them at all, and don't see any shame in hiring such work out.

getting a level evenly textured surface over that much length without having any plaster or stucco experience will be a trick.

if you built the fence they could come coat it in a day. that shouldn't cost much and the time savings would be worth it, imo.

TDL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear what you are saying. The problem is I want to learn. If it is as hard to learn as plaster I may pass.
rncx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's basically the same thing, they can spray a texture but the first coat has to go up by hand.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: