Best mortar for use with 170 year old handmade Brick??
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerrodbrown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Best mortar for use with 170 year old handmade Brick?? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone-

I have recently moved a Circa 1840 Antebellum home, and we are in the process of rebuilding the foundation below the house before lowering the house onto the new masonry... I am laying cinder block for the walls, but I am planning to face the block with the brick which I salvaged from the chimneys and from the previous foundation...

I have read before that you shouldn't use modern mortars with old hand made brick, due to the difference in hardness, expansion and contraction, etc..

That said, is there a great formula for making a mortar which is more sensitive to the brick?? Or is there something that we can mix using commercially available products (Lime, Portland, etc??)

I have viewed the other posts in this forum, but I don't see a very definitive answer....

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best,

Jerrod Brown
Jacksonville, Alabama

JBS_2704.JPG
 Description:
The Brick in question....
 Filesize:  2.28 MB
 Viewed:  609 Time(s)

JBS_2704.JPG

TimB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: NPS Preservation Brief Reply with quote

Hello Jerrod. Have you checked out the National Park Service preservation brief on the subject of matching mortars? There is a link in the Library section of this website (under preservation briefs). Here's a direct link as well:

http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/pbriefs/pb02.htm

This brief goes into some detail about various mortar mixes.
Happy reading,
Tim

Roger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the dates of these bricks predates the manufacture of Portland cement you can rule that out.
It really depends on the brick hardness. See if you can locate St Astier Hydraulic Lime (NHL). Probably NHL 2 would be good for you. Follow the manufacturer's instructions. There are other brands that may be available.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Masonry & Plaster  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: