Let's talk about SOY GEL
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckyswider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Let's talk about SOY GEL Reply with quote

Hi all! back to my restoration project again...stupid day job keeps getting in the way. I need that powerball!!

Anyhow, seems like I'm a little late to the Soy Gel party, as it seems to be discussed sort of matter-of-factly here. I don't know why I overlooked it before- maybe I thought it was just a ineffective, "safe" attempt at imitating harsh chemicals?? Regardless, I took a flyer on a quart to continue the stripping of my window casings and frames (phase 2 will be the sashes, once I learn how to properly and neatly glaze)...

So I brushed it on pretty thick, left for a couple hours, and wow, the paint pretty much came right off with a putty knife. Still some spots, which I mistakenly then tried to use a scraper to finish off. The wood was too soft and wet and gouged a bit...lesson learned.

Anyhow, what are the caveats?? I'm sure if this was the panacea that it seems it may be, there would be more of a buzz. I'm removing 100+ years of paint. But maybe because this is a sun-beaten south exposure it really is conducive to easier removal.

Anyhow, a few random questions:

1- what kind of cleanup should I do? Is water sufficient or should I use the manufacturer-recommended (or other) degreaser?
2- Any long-term implications for paint adherence? I remember one reason I discarded chemical stripper because the data showed that the eventual paint coat didn't have the total lifespan that it should.
3- Is there any case for using heat on top of the soy gel? I'm using the speedheater currently. Decent, but still time consuming. I wonder if there's any benefit to lathering on soy gel, waiting a couple hours, then hitting it with the speedheater??
4- Any feedback on spray-on soy gel?? It's difficult getting a smooth layer on vertical surfaces with the "brush" method. I wonder if a spray solution would be any better. Will really come into play when I start stripping the eaves and the rest of the roof trim....

Thanks all!!
Victor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk about SOY GEL Reply with quote

buckyswider wrote:

4- Any feedback on spray-on soy gel?? It's difficult getting a smooth layer on vertical surfaces with the "brush" method. I wonder if a spray solution would be any better. Will really come into play when I start stripping the eaves and the rest of the roof trim....

Thanks all!!

No feedback on the spray on stuff, but would love to hear some.

I've used soy gel once.. it works. But I'm concerned about the oily residue. I believe the one painted surface I used it on I washed it really well afterwards. The finish I ultimately applied was a varnish and it appears to be holding up well two years later. It is a basement window.

One of the benefits of the speed heater is you don't gotta wait for the wood to dry.

I have just ordered some of the Emerge Degreaser and Mastic remover from the manufacturer of the Soy Gel. I have a mastic removal project coming up.

I have another small paint removal project coming up and will post details on how the Emerge Degreaser works post soy gel.
buckyswider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Victor! It looks like I'm just gonna stick to the speedheater for the bulk removal. The first test strip worked VERY well, but that's probably because I used a carbide scraper for removal, which really dinged up the soaked wood. So for my next test, I left it on much longer (~24 hours) and then tried to remove with a plastic putty knife, as recommended. Not nearly as good as try #1, although I didn't control all the other variables for a perfect test. All in all the speedheater is quicker and easier (and cheaper now that the speedheater is a sunk cost).
jbmnd93

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After soy gel, I neutralize with mineral spirits and leave plenty of time to dry before I prime. Soy gel can find deep cracks to linger in and the mineral spirits might not clean it out from there. If that happens and I prime too soon the primer stays tacky. The more time you give the soy gel remnants to dry out, the better.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: