1903 plaster ceiling paint color and sheen
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam5532

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: 1903 plaster ceiling paint color and sheen Reply with quote

We are removing the "popcorn" (using a licensed asbestos removal company) from our plaster ceilings and the wall area above the picture molding. The house is a 1903 four square (with mostly Craftsman but some Victorian elements). I understand that the commonly sold "ceiling paint" is too flat and too bright white to be historically accurate. What off-white color and what sheen level would be appropriate.
Thanks, Adam
Don Wagstaff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Whiting is good up there on ceilings. Many recipes can be found and it depends somewhat on what is available to you where you are. One of the best I have used is a bag sold by Knauf just mixed with water. But that's me, here where I am, not you.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff
adam5532

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. What does it look like? Is it a flat white or does it have any gloss? Was it used historically for ceilings? Where can I find recipes? A Google search brings up recipes for cooking the fish by the same name!
Thanks, Adam
Don Wagstaff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo,

It is white if everything is as it should be and absolutely gloss-less. You can't use it over most other paints but with plaster it is most compatible. The reason it was used on ceilings is because the bond is very weak and can rub off on contact but generally that is not a problem up there high like that. A recipe I know of can be looked up in Henley's Book of Twentieth Century Recipes if you don't yet have your copy it is on the internet archive or look up the term white wash or whitewash.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: