Prime Hidden Epoxy?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Prime Hidden Epoxy? Reply with quote

Hello all. I am in the process of restoring some window sash and have just carried out some epoxy fills on the unexposed stile edges of the lower sash (the edge that faces the track). In their past life these sash were held open with a pin that projected out of the tracks into the holes. Unfortunately, the holes were poorly drilled, had worn a good deal, and in some cases split out through the edge of the stiles.

My question is whether or not I should prime these epoxy fills. They are located on an area of the sash that I would normally not paint at all (per all the advice found here). However, I know that epoxy repairs need paint protection in most circumstances. Is UV damage the main concern? If so, can I leave these patches unpainted since they will be protected at all times from the sun?
Thanks for your thoughts,
Tim

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

You don't have to worry about exposure to the sun and weather since the surface of the side edge is hidden, so you don't have to prime the side edge of the epoxy fill. If any of the epoxy repair areas wrap around to the interior or exterior faces of the sash, then prime and paint there as usual.

Are you re-activating the pin & hole system?

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
TimB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John. Thanks for the reply. I will take your advice!

I think I am not going to reactivate the pin and hole system (though I will have plenty of time to chew on that decision as I go through all the steps involved in restoring the sash). The system is not like the spring bolts Justin Smith sells. It consists of a brass plate set flush with the track of the lower sash. Two parallel pins project through the plate, with a hidden spring keeping them extended. One projects into the sash stile, keeping the window open to the desired level. The other serves as a button for depressing the first pin and releasing the sash. Problem is that the pins are very close together, so that the holes in the sash stile have to be drilled very near the edge. Whoever installed them filed down the inboard side of the "button" pin a little bit, to back up the holes from the stile edge just a touch. Over time, the holes in the stiles wore bigger, there was some splitting out of the stile edge, and the button pin scratched the face of the stile a bit. Seems like a piece of hardware adapted for the purpose... and not too successfully in the long run.

The other windows in my house are not weighted. I keep them open with expandable screens in the summer. Works fine for me.

Tim

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: