The eco friendly non-caustic Paint Strippers
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
impact1839

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: The eco friendly non-caustic Paint Strippers Reply with quote

I have read on the forum about some of the eco friendly paint strippers used. I personally have used the following:

Smart Strip by Dumond Chemicals- I chose this as their heavily hyped Peel Away system requires neutralizing and thats no good. The product evaporates too quickly. If you leave it caked on and continue to paste it on as it dries then it works pretty good on one layer of latex.

Ultra Strip by Sunny Side- of all the strippers I have used this is the best but it does not live up to the promises of multiple layer removal may be three layers.

Soy Gel- This worked merely ok and I would put it in the same league as Smart Strip in that it will remove one or two layers of latex.

I am highly interested in the following:

Abatron ClearStrip Gel- This is a product I have not used and I have noticed that Abatron products are supported by many including the master of the realm John Leeke. After a search of the forum I was unable to come across any reference to this product and would love to know if anyone has had any decent results with it. I cant find anything online except one review on Amazon and we all know about trusting reviews.

If anyone has had any results please share them. I am removing paint from 85 year old columns and it is some thick time consuming stuff. Try 4 days for a 4' circumference 18' tall fluted columns.

Any advice real experience would be helpful thanks guys

mattswabb

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the smart strip but I pasted a thick layer on and then covered it with Saran Wrap and it stayed moist for a day or more. We've done a few projects with this with good success.

I did this on some fluted flat columns beside our door. After leaving it on for a day I used a home made scraper to remove it from the flutes. It was just an aluminum bar I ground to fit. Then scraped and sanded.

Pics of my house:
http://s492.photobucket.com/albums/rr281/mattswabb/West%20ave/?start=all
impact1839

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Eco Friendly Paint Stripper Efficacy Reply with quote

How many layers did the smart strip remove? Did you only apply it once or were more applications required? Did you have the old lead based paint to contend with? Did it take it down to bare wood? Did you clean them with water afterwards? How long ago did you do this? Are you having any paint adhesion problems particularly in cracks and crevices?

This is largely a heat gun/steam based paint removal community as strippers are not advocated for various reasons.

Using non caustic strippers and wrapping them to prolong the life of the stripper is a good idea and one I will try especially with smartstrip which I liked but it evaporated way to quickly.

If anyone has used Abatron Clearstrip gel please chime in!

Victor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had good luck with soy gel. It just seems to make a mess. And it is expensive.

Smart strip needs to be covered. Cheap polyethelene painters plastic you can buy at the paint store works well. I've even used wax paper, but it seems to tear too easy when pulling it off.

Surprisingly, to me at least, citri-strip from home depot works pretty well too. It stays wet for a long time. Indoors anyways. I'd cover it if working outside. I've never used it outside though.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: