The Brand of Paint Determines how long the Paint Job Lasts
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
impact1839

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: The Brand of Paint Determines how long the Paint Job Lasts Reply with quote

We all know preparation is key to the longevity of a paint job with that said lets talk superior paint for a change. There is an aversion on this forum to discussing the superiority of specific products. I highly respect the creator John Leeke so I hope no disrespect is taken from this post.
I want to use this topic to maximize on its special base of craftsman. Technical details and methods are extremely important but actual brand named products are the next step to ensuring the best outcome. The longest outcome.

I just read through John's topic Best Brand of Paint http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2314

I agree with everything he says as is usually the case but I feel an excellent paint job is less than "95% preparation" if you consider the length of time the paint job lasts to factor into that equation then the paint you use is an enormous decision that does not get the credit it deserves.

Like most things in life the more expensive the higher the quality. I agree that marketing plays into many things but one thing you can't discount is the power of brand value. Don't discount the fact that companies understand they must have a long term approach to building and maintaining quality and value if the brand is to stay the course.

I have used several paints and I have my own firm convictions as to paint brands but I haven't used them all for sure. I have never used Benjamin Moore products because they are not available down my way.

I have used all the Sherwin Williams products and on Exterior Windows, Exterior Trim, and Siding, I now exclusively use Duration. I can personally attest to using it for 5 years and viewing friends that have used it close to 10 years and it still looks like it was painted yesterday. Those that have used it on windows and don't like the elastomeric qualities as they allegedly interfere with using the window used matte finish instead of high gloss as I don't have that problem. I've noticed the crowd or the majority of painters that have used it agree. I have yet to try the newer more expensive Emerald line and would love to know if anyone has as I am considering trying it out on my 20' tall columns and siding soon.

Let me know your thoughts on what the best paints are you have used. Maybe John will tell us what he uses most of the time....

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is an aversion on this forum to discussing the superiority of specific products. I highly respect the creator John Leeke so I hope no disrespect is taken from this post.

Talking about specific products here is encouraged, and I frequently do. No disrespect taken.

For exterior woodwork here in New England I often use the following products:

Pre-treatment, penetrating oil: Flood's Penetrol mixed with turpentine 4 to 1

or,

Pre-treatment, penetrating water-repellent preservative. No products are currently available so I mix my own according to Forest Products Lab's recipe using basic materials such as mineral spirits or turpentine, linseed oil, zinc napthanate and paraffin or bees wax.

Primer: California's oil-based Slow Dry Linseed Oil & Alkyd Resin Primer

Top Coats: California's 2010 100% Acrylic House Paint

California is a regional paint company located in Massachusetts and their products are distributed in New England. In recent years they have been expanding distribution along the entire east coast down to Georgia.

Along with these specific products I will mention a few issues that must be considered:

--> Specific products and brands contribute no more than 1% to 3% to the success and durability of paint work. Most of success and durability come from the methods and techniques used to create the paint finish, which goes far beyond simply applying products.

--> I frequently adapt these products with additives to meet the specific needs of each project.

--> Similar success and durability can be achieved with many other brands and products.

--> Often local or regional brands of paint are more effective than the national brands. You can tell this is true because over the past 40 years all of the national brands have been following the strategy of buying out and closing down these regional brands, since the national brands cannot compete with them any other way on issues like quality, customer support, products adapted to local building materials and local climate, etc.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: