DIY borate solution
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TideWater



Joined: 03 Aug 2014
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: DIY borate solution Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to do some work on my house and plan to apply a borate solution. To minimize expense I'm thinking of mixing my own (like Tim-bor). I found instructions that look reasonable here:

http://www.alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/homemade.html

Will this work?

Thanks,
-A
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TimB



Joined: 03 Sep 2009
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very interested to hear thoughts on the above. The big question for me would be whether the readily available borax is chemically identical to the active ingredient in Boracare etc. From Wikipedia (I know, take with a grain of salt):

"The term borax is often used for a number of closely related minerals or chemical compounds that differ in their crystal water content:
Anhydrous borax (Na2B4O7)
Borax pentahydrate (Na2B4O75H2O)
Borax decahydrate (Na2B4O710H2O)"

_________________
Tim Brosnihan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TideWater



Joined: 03 Aug 2014
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used "20 Mule Team Borax," which is a laundry additive I found on Amazon.com. According to their website, it "is comprised of 99.5% pure borax, a naturally occurring mineral composed of sodium, boron, oxygen, and water. (The scientific name for borax is sodium tetraborate decahydrate.) The remaining 0.5% is composed of trace minerals." But that doesn't really tell me anything about its effectiveness for wood preservation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnleeke
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Posts: 2999
Location: Portland, Maine, USA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A borate preservative product, such as BoraCare, is formulated, tested, and proven over the long-term to be effective, which is why I think it is worth using.

I do not know of any scientific tests that demonstrate the effectiveness of homemade borate preservative treatments. It could be that these do work, and I would be all for it if I knew for sure that they did work.

It is possible to protect wood from fungal decay and insect damage with ordinary table salt, but I have not done it and don't know the details. I have seen wood that was inadvertently exposed to sea water and as a result was protected from fungal decay and insect attack.

_________________
John

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
johnleeke
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Posts: 2999
Location: Portland, Maine, USA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the main discussion on borate preservative:

http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=476#476

_________________
John

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
Post new topic   Reply to topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum