I'd like feedback about prepping my porch deck
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes Goto page Previous  1, 2 
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim J Storey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Laura,

It sure is great to see someone approaching a project this way! I have lots of old growth yellow pine flooring, if you and John think that would suffice. I couldn't make out the thickness on your picture -mine is only 3/4" x 3 1/4.

A Purdue prof I know has various species of salvaged old growth wood, so if you need something else and know how much, he might be a good source. John has my email so we can use that to exchange more information if needed.

laurapartera

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: POPLAR? Reply with quote

I've been in a state of deep denial about having to replace any of my porch floor even though John Leeke told me I would need to. So in the last couple days I actually removed the railings/balustrades in the front of the porch and found that John was totally right-the ends of the porch decking are pretty bad. So I cut out some of the worst just in front of the first and second joists today.

I THINK I regret cutting back to that second joist because that wood was in in great condition, but what is done, is done. I can use some of the good parts of that wood to replace the section that was only cut back to the first joist. Does that make sense?
ANYWAY! I took a 24" length of the porch deck to a local Amish lumber yard and he thought the wood looked like poplar. He could indeed get me poplar sawn into the dimensions of my decking. He was dismissive of the idea that is should all be vertical grain saying it wouldn't matter.
I then took the same sample to a local "building supply" store and two guys there independently thought it was also poplar. They recommended I buy the replacement wood from the aforementioned Amish lumber yard. The one guy was very impressed that the poplar was in such good shape considering it isn't very rot resistant and attributed it to being old growth.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
Should I replace the rotten parts of my porch decking with this Amish lumber guy's poplar? I'm aware I could replace several of my full length or almost full length boards with new boards and then use the old growth boards to replace the rotty end pieces.

There is a joist in the very front and a piece of fascia that are rotten and need to be be replaced. They are 2" and 1" respectively and 150" long. What wood should I use to replace those? Try to replicate the pieces exactly? Those are now "custom" sizes as routine pressure treated wood isn't that wide.

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can use some of the good parts of that wood to replace the section that was only cut back to the first joist. Does that make sense?

Yes.

Quote:
ANYWAY! I took a 24" length of the porch deck to a local Amish lumber yard and he thought the wood looked like poplar. He could indeed get me poplar sawn into the dimensions of my decking. He was dismissive of the idea that is should all be vertical grain saying it wouldn't matter.

Your "boards" are so thick and narrow that I agree vertical grain is not needed. Ask him if he can get you the same size, in poplar, that is old growth and has the same or more growth rings per inch and is all heartwood. If so, go for it.

Quote:
There is a joist in the very front and a piece of fascia that are rotten and need to be be replaced. They are 2" and 1" respectively and 150" long. What wood should I use to replace those? Try to replicate the pieces exactly?

You can't go far wrong replacing type for type and size for size. But, for the joist you could use 1 1/2" pressure treated framing lumber and put vertical wood spacers to block it out to 2". For the fascia replicate it with a 1" board to match.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes Goto page Previous  1, 2 
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: