Exterior Porch Painting
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaseHouse2016

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Exterior Porch Painting Reply with quote

Hi all, I own an 1890's house in Chicago and this past fall, we had to rebuild 90% of the huge wrap-around front porch due to rotten floor joists and irreparable floor boards. We did leave about 10% intact, but the rest was rebuilt using tongue/groove untreated fir. We are now ready to paint the floor- and we are going to paint it b/c the part we didn't replace was painted wood and we want to maintain the painted wood look. I want to do this process RIGHT, though, and my research on painting wood porch floors is all over the place. I know the first step is to clean the floor using TSP/water, and I believe I also need to sand the floor because it was exposed to winter and some of the grain has popped. What I'm not certain of is the actual application of paint. Does untreated fir need to be primed before painting with a porch/floor paint? Or would I just apply porch/floor enamel with some mineral spirits mixed in for a first coat? I appreciate any and all feedback! I really want to do this right.
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: