Hook, line, and sinker
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows Workshop  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aurorab

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Hook, line, and sinker Reply with quote

So I received this message while I was gone, from the Window Czarina, an another architectural historian who organized our local neighborhood home tour. Janice and Dave have been working to convince our local neighborhood folk to ignore the utilities company's rebate for window replacements. One of the ways she (and the Working Historic Window crew) tried to convince people to keep their historic wood windows was to feature completely restored windows in the home tour. You can see the response generated by this effort. I thought this was pertinent to some of our discussions in the business meeting after the workshop, as to how we can convince people to keep historic windows. Read the message if you have time

Hello Working Historic Windows folks:

I am so pleased to tell you about the success of our windows display/demo at the Curtis Park Home Tour this past weekend! Patricia and James Moses graciously opened their 1910 Bungalow to share with people the windows that Dave Clark restored last year. Judy Dolan, Amanda Blosser, and Beth Hendrickson, all of whom have done restoration work on their own windows, manned the display so that people could get a hands-on feel for how well 96-year-old windows can function, and were able to explain to people just how workable the repair/restoration process is. Seeing and handling those windows couldonly make people appreciate their own more, and not only
that, 66 signed up as interested in attending a workshop to learn how to restore their own windows! I am impressed! And to think this is from just one event; I suspect there is a lot more interest city-wide in all our old neighborhoods.... and I think that as the word spreads, people will help other people look at their old windows in a much more positive light.

Now it is time to think about how to develop a workshop to address this
great energy people have for learning how to take care of their old
windows. This is a very exciting prospect! I really appreciate any input
you all may have... I shall keep you posted as we progress!

- Janice

p.s. An online version of the Historic Windows Brochure we gave out, plus
some new links to windows, history, and resource information, are now
available at the Sierra 2 website:
http://sierra2.org/scna_info/historic_info.htm

Back to work-
Amanda

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Windows Workshop  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: