Heat Guns Start Fires in Historic Houses
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic  
renaissance restorations

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Ropes House in Salem, MA Reply with quote

[ Reply deleted per advise of counsel ]

Last edited by renaissance restorations on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one in my town, sadly.

http://www.salemnews.com/punews/local_story_230002502.html

Luckily, in a house full of antiques and a museum property, only one glass pitcher was broken. All other damage is repairable.

800px-Ropes_Mansion_-_Salem,_Massachusetts.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.16 KB
 Viewed:  477 Time(s)

800px-Ropes_Mansion_-_Salem,_Massachusetts.JPG

SpinozaQ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: You should know... Reply with quote

That because of this thread, and your site in general. I have purchased a steam paint remover. Over the past 2 years I have stripped the paint from several door and window gumwood trims using heat guns. Everything in one bedroom and a living room. ( I've become quite good at it. ) However, I am now going to attempt to switch to using steam only to eliminate the risk of fire in my historic home. I didn't realize it was an option until I found your site. Thank you.
jade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now we're going to want to see pictures of your work!
Skuce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wagner Heat Gun Fires
Wagner Heat Gun Fire Lawyer in Houston, Texas

On June 17, 2009, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced a voluntary recall of the following "Heat Guns" manufactured by Wagner Spray Tech Corporation:

1. Milwaukee Heat Gun MHT3300

2. ACE HT3500 Heat Gun

3. Wagner Heat Gun HT3500

These Heat Guns are dangerous because an electrical component failure inside the Heat Gun can cause them to continue to produce heat after the power switch is turned off. This can melt the heat gun's plastic exterior, causing a burn if the heat gun is touched and ignite nearby combustibles, posing fire and burn hazards.

Around 300,000 of these Heat Guns have been recalled as of June 17, 2009. The recalled Heat Guns operate by emitting hot air and are used for paint and flooring removal, defrosting freezers and water lines, bending plastic and other hobbies. The heat gun's name and model number are located on a black label on the bottom of the heat gun's barrel. The heat guns are black or yellow plastic and measure about 10 inches long, 8 inches high and 3 inches wide.

The recalled Heat Guns were sold at major and independent hardware and home improvement stores nationwide from November 2004 through April 2009 for about $40.00 per unit.

Compensation for Heat Gun Fire Victims

People who have suffered property damage, destroyed homes, or personal injuries in a house fire caused by a defective Heat Gun may be eligible for compensation. Craft Hughes Law, P.C., is an experienced personal injury law firm with a record of success in cases involving house fires, Ford SCDS fires, and other types of fires caused by defective products. If your case has merit, attorney W. Craft Hughes will help you obtain all of the compensation you deserve.

This can include compensation for property damage to your home and other personal property. If you or a family member has suffered injuries, you may be able to obtain compensation for your medical costs, lost income and pain and suffering.
[img][/img]
www.ParadigmShiftCustoms.com
Skuce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/local/news/heat-gun-starts-fire/3906736/

Heat gun starts fire

23rd November 2009

...The fire had started when a heat gun being used to strip old paint had set alight rotten wooden boards.

Flames had then spread into the ceiling area...

[/quote]

(edited by the Forum moderator.)

Skuce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://salemnews.com/punews/local_story_228234822.html?keyword=topstory

Quote:
Painters' heat gun sparked Ropes blaze
By Amanda McGregor
STAFF WRITER

SALEM ó Workers hurtled carpets, wood and garbage bags of debris out a third-floor window of the Ropes Mansion yesterday as they cleaned up the aftermath of a two-alarm fire in the historic mansion.

The blaze, in which two firefighters were injured, was ignited early Saturday afternoon by painters using a heat gun on the exterior of the building to remove old paint, according to investigators...

"There are certain regulations out there with lead paint," said Giunta. "Sanders put the lead into the air, so the heat melts it and keeps it together so you're not breathing fine dust."

(edited by the Forum moderator)

renaissance restorations

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Interesting Comment... Reply with quote

[ Reply deleted per advise of counsel ]

Last edited by renaissance restorations on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skuce

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I think the lead is getting to the guy being quoted
renaissance restorations

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Under the Impression... Reply with quote

[DELETED]

Last edited by renaissance restorations on Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
said Giunta. "Sanders put the lead into the air, so the heat melts it and keeps it together so you're not breathing fine dust."

I think Giunta, or more more likely the reporter writing the story, got this wrong.

Here's what I think Giunta is talking about:

During paint removal, sanding the lead-containing paint puts finely divided dust into the air, breathing that dust is a health risk. With other methods that use heat to soften (not 'melt') the paint, like an infra-red lamp or steam, keep the lead contained in larger pieces of paint, so you're not breathing so much fine dust.

Giunta, or the reporter, left out the part about the method used.

Keep in mind that even with the infra-red lamp and steam paint removal methods lead dust is still a health risk (despite what the marketers of the infra-red lamps say to the contrary in their advertising copy), although much less of a risk than with sanding. Even sanding can be done safely with the right lead-safe work methods, but the lead-safe methods needed take more time and cost more to implement.

Some of the infra-red lamps do not get the lead in the paint hot enough to vaporize it. But, none of the infra-red lamp marketers will talk about the health effects of breathing the fumes of heating up the wood and the binders in the paint. You all know what I'm talking about, it's that acrid smell. Anything that smells that bad cannot be good for you. Steam paint removal does not product that smell because the temperature does not go over 212 degrees.

Take care, work safe and keep in touch.

John

Last edited by johnleeke on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 17, 2009
Release # 09-243 Firmís Recall Hotline: (888) 925-6244
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
Wagner Spray Tech Recalls Heat Guns Due to Fire and Burn Hazards
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Heat Guns

Units: About 300,000

Manufacturer: Wagner Spray Tech Corp., of Minneapolis, Minn.

Hazard: An electrical component failure inside the heat guns can cause them to continue to produce heat after the power switch is turned off. This can melt the heat gunís plastic exterior, causing a burn if the heat gun is touched and ignite nearby combustibles, posing fire and burn hazards.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received nine reports of the heat guns overheating. No injuries or property damage have been reported.

Description: The recalled heat guns emit hot air and are used for paint and flooring removal, defrosting freezers and water lines, bending plastic, hobbies, etc. Recalled models include the Milwaukee Heat Gun MHT3300, ACE HT3500 Heat Gun, and the Wagner Heat Gun HT3500. The heat gunís name and model number are located on a black label on the bottom of the heat gunís barrel. The heat guns are black or yellow plastic and measure about 10 inches long, 8 inches high and 3 inches wide.

Sold at: Major and independent hardware and home improvement stores nationwide from November 2004 through April 2009 for about $40.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled heat guns and contact Wagner for a free replacement product.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Wagner toll-free at (888) 925-6244

---

CPSC is still interested in receiving incident or injury reports that are either directly related to this product recall or involve a different hazard with the same product. Please tell us about it by visiting https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Skuce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I saw it once before. But where are the stats on the numbers of fires in the US caused by heat guns?
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought I saw it once before. But where are the stats on the numbers of fires in the US caused by heat guns?

After quite a bit if research I have not found anyone who compiles this number.

Between 1971 and 1986 I counted up 67 fires cause by heat paint removal in the state of Maine. I stopped counting then because it made me too sad.

Over the past 7 years I have counted 24 nationally. These are just the ones I happen to hear about, there must be many many more.

This discussion is the only central place I know of where these fires are reported and collected.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Skuce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd. Because I was sure I saw a stat "somewhere" about a month ago that stated that ~20% of ALL house fires in the USA were caused from Heat Gun/Plate use.

I'm just trying to find where I saw that stat again.

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: