Conference Promotion
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> TB Conference Planning, Windows, Mar. 2007  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Conference Promotion Reply with quote

Jade writes:
>>if i receive one more fax or mailing from this convention i think i'll scream!!!<<

Yep, I'm getting it too. As a consumer, I scream. As a marketer of preservation products and services I aplaud.

Yesterday the conference organizers sent out an email announcement to 45,000 people that included the following:

***** Windows, Windows and Windows
This year the Traditional Building Show will have ten educational
sessions about windows as well as live window restoration demonstrations
on the exhibit hall floor. Topics include Windows: Small Shop Business ; Window Repair and Replacement; the Do's and Don'ts of Traditional Windows and Doors,Specifying Wood Windows for Historical Renovation & Design, and Repairing Wood Windows - A Master Class.

Please note that the announcement leads with our exhibit floor demonstrations, and that Alliance members are involved in more of the window events than any other "outfit." Also the Alliance is the only outfit involved in windows presentations on every one of the four days of the conference. (if we demonstrate on all three days)

We can use this ubiquitous presence to our promotional advantage. We need a couple of 20"x30" sign that says, "this event backed by the Window Restoration Alliance" with the Alliance logo. (what alliance logo?)

In each of our own marketing programs (mailings, billings, proposals, websites, press releases, email signatures, prospect contacts, etc.) we can say "come see us on ANY day of the conference."

We can announce:

***** Window Restoration Alliance at national Traditional Building Show, Boston, March 7-10.
Come see us on ANY day of the conference. Alliance members presenting on every day including live window restoration demonstrations in the exhibit hall, Beyond Repair?, Paint & Putty!,... And conference session, Windows: Small Shop Business ;pre-conference workshop Repairing Wood Windows - A Master Class. Join me, <your name here> at <your event titles and day,time>

Conference Info: www.traditionalbuildingshow.com
<your name here> Info: www . <your website here> . com

Let us know how you are promoting your involvement at the conference by posting a message below.

Last edited by johnleeke on Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example I have posted the following at my own website:

Window Restoration Alliance
at national
Traditional Building Show

Boston, March 7-10.

Come see us ANY day of the conference. Alliance members presenting on every day including:

* Wednesday, Pre-conference workshop: Repairing Wood Windows - A Master Class.
* Thur-Sat, Live window restoration demonstrations in the exhibit hall, Beyond Repair?, Paint & Putty!
* Thur. 2:30-3:30pm, Conference session, Windows: Small Shop Business

Join me, John Leeke, at the Repair Workshop, Business Session and Book Signings at the Bookstore.
My conference "headquarters" is at the Alliance Live Windows Demonstration area, meet up with me there.

Conference Info: www.TraditionalBuildingShow.com

Historic HomeWorks Info: www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

You can see it at my website frontpage: www.HistoricHomeWorks.com
where you can follow the "learn more" link, or go directly to:
http://historichomeworks.com/hhw/education/tbconf2007.htm

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Free Exhibits Tickets for your Guests Reply with quote

Free Exhibits Tickets for your Guests

Eric Petersen, TB Show Dir., writes:

That's great and if you like I can provide Free Admission guest tickets
to your Alliance members if they would like to send personal invites.

Eric Peterson
Show Director
Traditional Building Exhibition and Conference
1-866-566-7840 ext 112
202-339-0749 - fax
www.traditionalbuildingshow.com

EPeterson {{at}} restoremedia {{dot}} c o m

This means that we can include a free ticket to the exhibits and our demonstrations with all our mailings and contacts for the next 3 months. Do you send out holiday greetings to your customers and colleagues? Why not include a ticket?

johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a small crowd of on-lookers whenever anyone is demonstrating a work method. It is our job to educate them about the work and about the mission of the Alliance. Every one of them needs to have an Alliance leaflet in their hand as they walk away.

To see what it's like demonstrating at the TBConf, check this out:

Click on the image above to play the video. (play time: 2 min.)

jade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my concern is that we don't have a consensus on an alliance mission statement, membership, logo, name, etc....i would prefer discussion of this on the forum that is for current alliance members only....

indeed we hope to have time to get together and discuss ideas on the above while we are at the conference but i hesitate to make claims that are not based on majority consensus after much discussion.....

anyone else???

....jade
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jade & Others:

Quote:
my concern is that we don't have a consensus on an alliance mission statement, membership, logo, name, etc....

Very understandable. We did come to a pretty good consensus on a name and description--at least enough to move ahead with planning for the conference. Of course, mission, membership policy, logo, marketing strategy, would all be good and help us get even more out the the conference and future works.

I agree that Alliance organizational discussions might best take place behind the scenes, which is why I have provided the private forum. Of course, we can also use the phone, email, meetings, etc.

I have decided to do my own conference planning here on the "open planning" model. With open planning, many (though not always all) of the details and discussions are open to public view. It works particularly well when there are a number of people, and more than one group involved in the plans. For example, another group is the conference organizers. They can look over the planning here and give us guidance, etc.

Over the past 5 or 6 years I have been testing this method and find that it produces effective and sometimes exciting results. For example, an unknown person reviewing the plans steps forward with an important contribution. And, even "silent" reviewers of the planning who come to the event have developed an "insiders" understanding of the event and feel closer to the presenters, which are exceptional aids in educating. It also serves to "jump start" marketing for the event, by spreading the word early on.

Feel free to have your Alliance discussions publicly, or privately, and then post the conference planning results here.

I have just renamed the Alliance private discussion forum with the current name:

WRA Window Restoration Alliance

and you will find it, as usual, at the bottom of the forum listing, but will only see it if you are logged in to the Forums, and if I have set you up with access. If you are a member of the Alliance and want access to the private forum, let me know.

The first step for access to the private forum is to register here at the Forum, click on "Register" at the upper right of any Forum webpage. Then contact me by private message or email.

Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> TB Conference Planning, Windows, Mar. 2007  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: