Rentable steam paint remover?
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Rentable steam paint remover? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to the board and am looking forward to having this forum as a resource. My husband and I have an 1810 cape that needs a good amount of paint removal. I've been told that the previous owners did lead paint removal but I plan on treating everything as leaded because there seems to be a significant amount of paint on all the wood in the house.

I'm very interested in the steam paint remover that I've seen on this website but am not able to fund the purchase price right now. Is there anyone who rents such a device? I plan on doing one room at a time (we are on the 20 year restoration plan!) and would love to have a rental for a weekend or week.

Thanks!
Kit
johnleeke
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of anyone with a rental program for these steamer units. They are often listed on eBay, second hand. I got mine that way for $85. If you have a rental company nearby you might ask them to buy one and rent it to you. Also, talk with all your friends and neighbors. Show them a picture of of the steamer shown here. This steamer is made for the fabric and clothing industry and many people have one. When I was in Omaha last year I visited three households where we talked about steam paint removal. Two out of the three had the exact same steamer sitting right in the closet.

If you are seriously considering the Steam Paint Removal method, you definitely need to get my report on it:

http://www.historichomeworks.com/hhw/reports/reports.htm#Steam

because there is more to successful use of the method than buying the steamer. The report lists which makes and models of steamers work best. It also shows, step-by-step how to make special steam heads, talks about safety, etc.

Hey, I drove through Durham just last week! Best of success with your "new" old house. Come back and visit with us here at the Forum any time.

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
Kit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, I'll start looking around for a second hand steamer.

I also found a link that you previously posted on another thread from HUD about the proper care and removal of lead paint so I printed that out as well.

So glad I found this place!
Historic HomeWorks Forum Forum Index -> Paints & Finishes  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: